Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Meet Our Guest Judge: Paige Everson

Paige Everson is the amazing talent behind  Sweet Magnolia Photography - NY. Her work honors the everyday moments - perfect, and imperfect. She has a gift for capturing beauty and emotion in a way that is just - different, making her the perfect judge for this week's theme. Please take a moment to read about how whe became the artist she is today.

1) Tell us about yourself:
I am a Wife and Mama first and foremost, working full-time as a photographer. I love to laugh and eat, a lot! I've secretly always wanted to be southern and live in a lighthouse on the beach. And I dream of publishing a novel someday.



2) What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?
Like so many of us out there, my journey into photography was fueled by the birth of my sweet little girl. Even now she is the inspiration behind so much of my work.


3) What’s in your camera bag right now, what do you use the most? The least?
I am a very simple photographer when it comes to equipment. I don't even own a full-frame camera. I shoot with a Canon 60D, 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm, 75-300mm, and Lensbaby Composer. I use my Lensbaby and 50mm the most. I think I may have an addiction to dreamy blur! I rarely use my zoom lens.

4) What’s your dream project?
I would love to do an entire series of fairytales. I don't necessarily like literal interpretations, I'm not huge fan of a lot of props persay, just more of capturing the emotion of the story.

5) What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?
Self-doubt and insecurities. I am 100% self-taught. I have never taken a workshop, a class, nothing. I really have no idea how to produce a technically accurate photo. I only know what feels right to me. It has been a challenge to accept the fact that I don't have to be perfect. I don't have to fit into a certain category. I can make art that I love and forge my own way.

6) If you had $500 to spend on photography…

   a: I should really save that $500 towards the 3 grand I need to upgrade to a full-frame camera.

   b: A fish-eye lens. I don't really need one, but I've always wanted to have fun with one.

   c: I'd probably end up getting a 35mm lens because I can make do with my current camera for the time being, but you really can't do without good glass.

7) Is there one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of yourphotography journey?
Two things:
(1) That you don't have to take every job that presents itself to you. In the beginning I was so scared of not being successful that I literally said yes to anything and everything. I have slowly learned that it is okay to say no to things that are not meant for me.
(2) To value myself more as an artist.

1 comment:

Popular Posts