Friday, February 7, 2014

Feature Friday with Heather Chang

Today's Feature Friday is all about the winner of our "travel" theme, Heather Chang of Heather Chang Photography!!



1. Please tell us about yourself…

I'm Heather! I'm a wife. A mother to three boys; Asher, Laird and Ferris, who are my primary subjects. In my non-photography life, I am a nurse practitioner and work with NICU patients. And pretty much, I am a full time obsessed hobbyist of all things photography related.  


2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

Colorful - I am particularly drawn to color and I am realizing recently it is a strong component of my photographic voice. I say this but probably 1/3 of my work in black and white!


Lifestyle - My approach to photography is as an observer. I try to capture real moments as they are happening. I don't do photo shoots with my kids except for when I need an image for a Christmas card or something similar. And I rarely set up a shot and I direct my kids only minimally. My goal is to capture their childhood genuinely but in an artful way. I try to be unobtrusive with the camera because I don't want them to grow to hate it!

Emotive - I try to capture the humor, fun, joy and sometimes not-joy of my boys' childhood. I want them to look back at the images and remember the thrill it was to be a kid. I want them to remember how much fun they are having. I want them to see how cool I think they are.  



3. What sparked your passion for photography? 

It seems like I've always had a camera around. I shot on a film Rebel (but not very well) for years. But like a lot of women photographers it was my kids that got me really interested in it. Not only did I want to document their lives, but I loved having a hobby where there was so much to learn! I was really drawn to photography because it's not only artful but also technical. It completely appeals to my scientific brain, (I read camera manuals over and over!); but also to my need to create.  

4. What's in your camera bag right now? 

My Canon 5DM3 which is almost always paired with my favorite lens, the Sigma 35 1.4. I have a 16-35L which is SUPER fun; this is the lens I shot my Travel image with. My lens set up also includes: 40mm pancake, 50 mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8 and a Lensbaby kit. I also shoot film and for that I have a Canon AE-1P, and Canon EOS 3 and a Mamiya 645 Pro Tl.  

5. What is your dream shoot or project?

I would love to do travel photography for a job; or food photography, or maybe travel and food together. On film. Yes, that would be a good way to get paid.
Or shoot a fine art wedding all on film.
Or be a celebrity portrait photographer.
Or more realistically, shoot a 365 project on film.



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how? 

I don't know, I've never really thought about it! If i think way back, I guess I thought that the bulk of "serious" photographers were men. I thought I was going to be online seeking information from people who didn't really understand why I wanted to take a back lit image of my 6 month old. I't didn't take long to find out there was this wonderful world filled with so much talent from women photographers.  


7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

Really learn your camera and learn about light; before you ever learn about processing. And shoot on manual from the beginning. And shoot every day, or every day that you can. It's the best thing you can ever do for your photography. And lastly, don't try to copy or be someone else, shoot for yourself first and shoot from your heart.
I have a very good friend that reminded me a lot in the beginning that I didn't have to be in business to be a considered good photographer. That I could find validation in my work through myself. That's the advice I wish someone gave me and they did. And I am grateful for that. It took a lot of pressure off me to just shoot for myself and really discover who I am as a photographer.



Thank you so much Heather!! To see more of Heather's beautiful work, please head on over to her website or her Facebook page at Heather Chang Photography...you will be SO very glad you did!!!

1 comment:

Popular Posts