Monday, January 20, 2014

Meet the Mavenisitas! Julie Moses of Jujujems Art and Photo Studio





Meet Julie Moses of Jujujems Art and Photo Studio
(photo by her 4 year old daughter ~ Emberjayne)

Julie is the original organizer of Snap Maven as well as the first person most of the guest judges will hear from.
She is also in charge of making sure the theme challenge post goes up on time and sharing selected images on the Facebook page on Tuesdays.
Sometimes she fails.

 Tell us about yourself...

I am a wife, mom, artist, and homeschooler to four kids ranging in age from 20 down to 4.
The youngest of whom refuses to wear pants.
Currently I homeschool only the youngest two. 
It truly seems like yesterday that my oldest was the age my youngest is now.
I also run a photography business called Jujujems Art and Photo Studio.
I specialize in family and children's portraiture though I really dabble in a bit of everything.
Childhood is the ultimate inspiration for me. It is so perfect and so fleeting.
Magical and fundamental. Its events shape who a person becomes. 
When I am not busy doing those things, I draw, play with my 4 year old,
and start new projects like Snap Maven, and my new 365 project Momma Snapped.
I also have a new project in the conception stages right now.





How did you begin your journey in photography?

​I have been taking pictures since I was a child(my first camera was a little 110), but I also loved MAKING pictures too!
My first creative love is definitely painting and drawing!
Real photography seemed too technical, expensive, and out of reach.
How could I justify the expense on myself. Everyone else came first.
However after losing my mom unexpectedly as well as a series of serious health crises with my two youngest kids, and a house fire that left us in a place of literally starting over,
I decided that I was worth investing in and bought my first DSLR- A Canon Rebel T3.
Once that camera got into my hands, it rarely left and I set about trying to learn everything I could.
As of now, I am completely self-taught. YouTube is my friend.
It wasn't long before friends saw my photos online and started asking how much I charged.
What's funny too, is that no one was really interested in posing for me to help me practice until I started charging, and the more I charged, the more interest there was!
People really will value you only as much as you value yourself.
I still consider myself an artist. Photography is my current medium.







How does your background in applied arts influence what you do with a camera? 

Having been a non-photographic artist before developing a passion for photography has changed the way I approach the technical aspects of photography.
In all art forms, the main purpose of knowing all the rules and being able to follow them, is to also be able to break them-on purpose. 

For me the narrative of an image is paramount.
What is the story being told? What is it the artist is telling me?
As I am composing my image I consciously ask myself, what I am going to say with this shot?
A less than technically perfect image can still stir emotions so deep in someone's soul that is is a considered a work of art.
Likewise, an image can be technically perfect and lack anything even resembling a soul. 
But, when narrative and technique meet in perfect combination, 
THAT is the magic that every photographer is trying to make!









Sometimes, the moment is planned, but then something amazingly
 unplanned occurs and is simply captured!


In both these shots above, I had a plan. My subjects had a slightly different one.
I am so glad they did! These images are so much better because of it!
The boy had another idea about how he liked being in the middle of two girls.
Truly it was a micro expression. The shot just before and just after are totally different!
My daughter's leg position in the wing picture wasn't what I had planned at first,
but she was fairly stubborn about not putting her legs down, so I went with it.
I think it totally makes the shot!
Sometimes as an artist, you need to know when to let go of the control and just let things happen as they are supposed to.
It is said Michelangelo didn't sculpt his pieces
but rather removed the marble until what hidden within was revealed. 
I am also an avid student of art history




What is in your camera bag right now?
 
Right now I shoot with a Canon 6D. I upgraded from my Rebel to a full frame back in March of 2013
I still shoot mainly with the kit lens it came with{28-135mm IS 3.5-5.6}
It is a decent lens, but I drool over faster glass. 
I also have a 50mm 1.8 plastic fantastic. GREAT lens for the money!
 My next lens will most likely be the 85mm 1.8(used).
I have also undertaken trying to master my iPhone.
An ollicip and underwater case are on my Christmas list!
Other things you will find are my two flashes, one is a Canon 480 EXII, the other a REALLY off brand Zeikos ZE-440EX that came with the camera bundle I got with the 6D.
It comes in handy in a pinch and makes a great slave!
There are also some other nifty gadgets like some Yonguno wireless triggers,
and a really odd looking flash modifier called a Wing Light.
{It looks SO weird, but it really does make awesome light!}








Snap Maven: What is your dream shoot or project?

I am so blessed to say that I actually am working on my dream project at the moment!
It is a personal project that I hope to turn into a book whose proceeds will benefit a children's charity like Make-A-Wish. 
My son Ryan, was a Make-A-Wish Kid so it it something very personal to us a family.
He has two years of remission from Hodgkin's Lymphoma- a type of blood cancer that affect the lymph system.
What is also great about it is that I have been able to blend my drawing abilities with my photography and post-processing skills for this series.
My advice on getting a dream project is, don't wait for one, make one!
You never know what doors it will open, even if they are only personal creative ones that stretch who you are as an artist.






So what are you not good at?
Oh so many things! Does moving count? 
We like to call my unique brand of klutziness "Style and Grace" 
Creatively though, music. 
At 2 years old, my daughter said, "Mommy, no sing!" 
And all I play is the radio.
Thankfully my husband makes up for my weakness there. 
He is a musician who plays multiple instruments .
Our son Ryan is following in his footsteps. He play piano, drums, is picking up guitar,
and is a prodigy composer on garage band.
Then there is my true creative nemesis-sewing!
I have a pathological fear of the sewing machine needle!











You can also catch up with Julie here

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts