Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Meet the Mavenistas! Stacy Anatonopoulos of A/Z Photography


Stacy shares for us on Wednesday's, is the main creator of out theme list, and writes our Guest Judge Features on Monday. In addition to being a full-time teacher, and professional photographer, she has also begun a new 365 project called 365 Smiles.



1. Tell us about yourself...

I'm not sure why this question is the hardest. I'll start with this morning: I woke up around 7:30 to find both of my kids in bed with me. Zoe, 4, was cuddled right next to me, while Anthony, six, was nestled at the foot of the bed. It got a little noisy for Dad so we got up and moved to the couch. Had it been a weekday, I would have taken the dog for a run; but it was Saturday, so I promptly fell back asleep while they played. When I awoke an hour or so later, I realized that I had nothing to feed my kids for breakfast, so we got dressed and went out for doughnuts. The kids picked maple bacon. Then, they joined me for a fun shoot, after which we went home to get dressed for a wedding - a Greek one, while I ignored the stack of 12th grade essays in my bag.

So, from this, we learn: I'm Greek, I'm a teacher, a family, many responsibilities, and a sweet tooth. I don't sleep enough, I try to stay in shape, and I'm disorganized.

I've often thought of myself as a great contradiction: A free spirit trapped by the constraints of responsibility. I'm spontaneous when it doesn't matter, and cautious when it does. But most importantly, I'm happy.





2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

My story is probably not very unique. My parents both have artistic talents: my mom did some pretty awesome drawings, wrote poetry and essays, and still sews like nobody's business. My Dad has a penchant for satirical poetry and songs - he was the one with the camera: an old Minolta. My sisters and I all draw, paint, write, and read, as these things were always supported and celebrated in the home. I've always been interested in art, it was my minor study in college. But the short of it is, my kids were, and are still, the major inspiration. When my son was born, I wanted to capture every moment. Thus, a hobby became an obsession, then morphed into a part-time profession.




3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

I'm using a Canon 7d, and the lens that's on the front most often is a 50 1.4. I also have a 135 2.0, 10-22, 85 1.8, and a Tokina 35 macro (surprisingly awesome). For everyday fun, I've got my backup Canon 50d and a Tamron 28-75 2.8. It's kind of a hodgepodge, bought on sale over a few years.




4. What's your dream project or shoot?

Well since it's been over ten years that I've been to Greece (where my family is from), I think I'd like to pack my kids up and photograph their first experience there. I also dream about shooting a courthouse wedding, specifically in San Francisco.

Okay, I have one more dream project, and this one, I plan to start at the beginning of the new year. I want to do a 365 of sorts, with a twist. It's a smile 365, documenting one thing each day which makes me smile, whether it's a photo, anecdote, or written word.




5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

If we're talking about the big picture, then I would definitely have to say balance. I am a mom, a teacher, and a photographer, and as you can imagine, spare time is at a minimum. I have to be better about planning time for my family and myself, because when I get overwhelmed, some of the enjoyment gets lost.




6. How does being a teacher influence your photography right now, and how do you see it molding your career in photography in the future?

I can't tell you how many times people have asked when I intend to stop teaching, and pick up photography full time. The answer is probably never. I love teaching, and it is a big part of who I am. I do not think I could be happy doing photography full time, because I find the business aspect of it draining. For me, photography and teaching have a symbiotic relationship. I love the security and purpose I have in teaching, and I crave the creativity and freedom of photography.



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Gosh, it's such a good question, but the answer is no, not really. I've been lucky: When I was pregnant with my first child, I became good friends with a very accomplished local photographer. I would name him, but he doesn't do his business through social networks. Anyway, as I became more interested in photography, I turned to him for advice often; he rewarded my curiosity by taking me along for shoots and sharing new techniques he was using. So I think this is what I would recommend to anyone beginning a journey as a photographer: Find a mentor, someone who is willing to bring you along, even if it's just to hold a reflector, and develop a comfortable relationship with that person so that you feel safe asking questions! And if anyone reading this is in the Sacramento area, I'd be happy to be your gal!



You can find more of Stacy's spectacular work at these links...

Facebook | Website |

1 comment:

Popular Posts