Saturday, January 25, 2014

Meet the Mavenistas! Jana O'Flaherty of Bo & The Bean

  Jana shares for us on Saturdays and announces the new themes on Sundays. 
She also heads up our Snap Maven Canada team!


1. Please tell us about yourself.

This is always such a hard question to answer :)  I am a mother and wife with a desire for  balance and fairness.  Conflict makes me nervous, but I am also fiercely protective of the people I love.  I am over-sensitive, a procrastinator, and a bit temperamental.  I love family, friends, good food and losing myself in a book.  Photography is my hobby and outlet, and I'm still amazed that other people like my work!




 2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

I would like my style to be clean, vibrant and crisp.  I don't like visual clutter (there is enough of it in my 'real life' lol) so I think that is why I prefer my photos to look the way they do.





 3. What sparked your passion for photography?

I've had cameras since I was little.  I still have a ton of the photos I took when I was young, and things like composition and lighting didn't matter to me.  I fell in love with photography again after having my daughter, and realizing that with a photo, I could keep the memories of her childhood alive forever.





 4. What's in your camera bag right now?

Hmmm, a D600, an 85 1.8 and a 35 1.8 (which is a DX but I still throw it on and use it until I save up for that gorgeous Sigma!),  an extra battery, some kleenex,  and a notepad and pen.  Pretty boring :)



 5. What is your dream shoot or project?

I would love to shoot for a cookbook!  It sounds small, but I would also love to do a huge Mothers/children shoot.  I'm not in business so I don't see it happening soon, but I know I am seldom in photos for a variety of reasons and it breaks my heart to think that my kids won't have those tangible memories when I am gone.  Every child deserves to have a pile of pics of their mom exactly as they remember her.




 6. What are some of the hurdles you have had to overcome this far in your photography journey?

Time (and learning how to better manage it).  Money and gear envy lol.  My biggest hurdle is absolutely myself.  I want to be an amazing photographer whose images appeal to people, but I struggle trusting that I can actually do that!  I'm finally learning that if I love a shot, then sometimes that is enough.



7. What advice would you give to other photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
Learn the basics.  You can't break the rules intentionally unless you know what they are :)  Supportive family and friends are so important, but sometimes an outsider's eye is needed to balance that out.  I look back at older shots now and cringe lol.  It is not a race so slow down and enjoy learning and seeing your improvement.  Sometimes you need to disconnect a bit - stop staring at all the gorgeous work your idols are producing when it starts making you feel badly about your own.  Other photographers' work should inspire you so if it doesn't, walk away for a bit and focus on what makes your heart happy.







 You can see more of Jana's inspiring work at her facebook page Bo & The Bean.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts