Friday, May 16, 2014

Feature Friday with Dani Vest Photography!

We're thrilled to feature the very talented Dani Vest Photography, the winner of last week's 'sunshine' challenge! 




1. Please tell us about yourself...

Hi!  I'm a hobbyist photographer and I spend my days in the Rocky Mountains of Utah with my husband and two daughters.  In a former life I was a tax accountant, but I adore staying home with my girls, tinkering in my garden, sewing creations and snuggling up with thick novel.  I've also got a serious addition to chips and salsa.


  


2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
Authentic, reflective, emotional.  I want to be able to look back on my work and say, "I remember that afternoon, the smell of sunshine on your hair and those sticky fingers around my neck."  






3. What sparked your passion for photography?
My photography journey began long before I picked up my camera.  You could say it's because I'm in love with family history.  The stories, the mementos, but especially the images.  I've been cataloging and preserving my own personal history since I was little (my mom was a founding member of the mamarazzi, LOL), but for the past 10 years I've been gathering up artifacts from my extended family as well.  I decided one way I could leave a lasting legacy for my girls was to learn to use a camera.  I haven't stopped learning since!   








4. What's in your camera bag right now?
Canon 5D Mark iii.  15mm fisheye, 35L, 100 macro, 135L.  Also, a lensbaby and a speedlight. 





5. What is your dream shoot or project?
My dream shoot would include a bamboo forest, misty rain and my girls.  Trust me.  I've got it all worked out in my head. ;)







6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
I thought it would be very difficult to learn this skill from "the pros".  I've realized that most photographers out there are helpful, willing to share and some of the sweetest people I've ever met.  I never thought some of my closest friends would come from the photography world. I'm so grateful for them!! 





7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
My best advice is... If you like what you're producing, that's all that matters.  It's very easy to compare or think your work isn't good enough because it doesn't look like so and so.  Step back and reevaluate who you're shooting for.  Me?  I'm shooting for my girls and my posterity.  The people who matter to me don't care about trends in editing, or if a photo has enough flare.  Create work that makes YOU proud.




See more of Dani's gorgeous work here:


Facebook  |  Website  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts