Sunday, May 4, 2014

This Week's Guest Judge: Amanda Monday

This week, we have Amanda Monday of BirdsDream Design as our guest judge. We love her whimsical captures and clean processing. Read more to learn about her here!



1.    Tell us about yourself...

I am a photographer and Graphic Designer from Iowa. I have two little boys who are super crazy and fun that definitely inspire me and keep me on my toes! I love going to movies, shopping for antiques and spending time with friends and family. I have a shoe addiction to TOMS and converse and a pretty extensive t-shirt collection. Also I could drink iced green tea from Starbucks just about everyday!



2.    What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

I have always loved taking pictures. As a kid I went through disposable cameras like crazy. My poor parents probably spent a small fortune on developing them! Photography was always really fun for me but never did I think I could do it as my profession. Of course once I had children it really fueled my fire for photography and when I went back to school for my graphic design degree I got to take a lot of great photography classes that really inspired me. I feel blessed everyday to be able to do what I do and capture such wonderful moments.



3.    What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?
I have a Canon 6d. My lenses I have are: 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm, sigma 10-20mm 3.5, sigma 35mm 1.4, 40mm.

The lenses I use most are my 35 and my 40. I really love prime lenses and these give me a wider angle which I adore! Almost everything I shoot is with these particular lenses. The lens I use the least is 10-20. I used to use this lens quite often when it was my only wide angle but now I don’t have the need for it as much.



4.    What's your dream project or shoot?

Well it’s no secret that my dream is to shoot celebrities in particular Ryan Gosling! ;)
I would also love to do a traveling project photographing woman all ages, in different professions across the country.



5.    What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

Balance. I know a lot of us say this but it is so true. I want my business to be a success and I want to spend as much time with my children and family as possible and some days it is hard to find that happy medium to balance it all.



6.  If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?

I should spend it on things I need, like a new printer, advertising materials, new business cards etc.

How do you wish you could spend it?

I wish I could spend it on a macro lens that I have been wanting.

How would you really spend it?

I would probably go for the lens. If I had the extra money to go for it I would!



7.    Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

First I wish someone had told me less is more! When I first started I pretty much used every action, texture and technique I knew and had on an image. My editing style has evolved and I really like where I am now. But I never stop learning and growing. Also don’t compare your work to others. I used to spend time doing this and it would drive me crazy. So I would say to others believe in yourself, stay positive, keep clicking and keep creating!





Thank you so much, Amanda, for sharing your time and talent with us this week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts