Thursday, May 8, 2014

Meet the Mavenistas~ Jana Butman of Jana Butman Photography







Tell us about yourself...

  • Hi, my name is Jana, I’m a mother of two beautiful children, 
    an army wife, and a photographer. 
    I was born in Prague, Czech Republic, and I moved to the United States in 2003 
    to study English and to be a live in nanny. I live a happy life. 
    I always try to be positive and I love to be active with my kids. 
    I want them to have a very fufilled childhood, just like I had when I was small.









    What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?
    It will sound funny but after I got married to my husband 
    and moved to the US for good in 2006, I was looking for a purpose. 
    I knew I wanted to start something and I chose photography. 
    I went to IADT in Tampa, graduated in 2008 and my photography journey started then. It only grew stronger after I had my daughter and then my son. 
    I love to document my kid’s lives, our life. 
    I love to get creative and show their characters
    and every day routines in a different way. 
    Photography feeds my soul and I can’t be happy unless I shoot almost daily.








    What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?
    My Canon 5D mark II, 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f2.8, and 24-70mm f2.8. 
    I just recently got the 35mm and I love it! That and the 50mm are my most favorite. 








    What's your dream project or shoot?
    I absolutely love still life photography! 
    So my dream project would probably be a campaign for a product. 
    I like to come up with the idea on how to sell it too.






    What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?
    Definitely selling myself and the business part of being a photographer. 
    I’m nervous after every shoot that the people who hired me might not like my pictures. It is something I need to work on!



     


    If you had $500 to spend on photography...
    How should you spend it? Get a good camera bag.
    How do you wish you could spend it? Get large prints of my kids for the house!
    How would you really spend it? Add the money to get a macro lens. 






    Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?
    Not to care so much what other people do and think.
    Go with your gut and do what you enjoy the most!















1 comment:

  1. Love this!! I adore Jana's work and she seems like such a sweet person ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts