Monday, November 18, 2013

Meet this week's guest judge Cynthia Dawson {dreams} November 19, 2013

1. Tell us about yourself...  




Is this is the part where I tell you I like long walks on the beach?  Haha!  I am a thirty-something wife and mother.  My husband just retired from the military so we are transitioning to civilian life.    We have two girls, Ava and Myla.  Myla is my little muse and puts up with a camera in face most of the day pretty well. 
I am the co-founder for The Gold Hope Project, a non profit that provides free photo sessions for children with cancer.  Ava was the inspiration behind the project.  She passed away from cancer shortly after the organization formed.   We are so proud that her memory lives on through this project.   




2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now? 



 I would say my passion for photography was ignited during Ava’s illness.  I knew that photos would soon become a lasting memory of her.  I tried my best to capture her like I wanted to remember her.  Now it is fueled by the drive to learn, grow and just create.  




3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 




 My bag is a mess right now so I will spare you all the other junk in there but the gear I always have with me is my Nikon D600 and Sigma 35 .14.  That is my go to combination for most of my images.  I also use a Nikon 85 1.8 for outdoor portraits.  The bokeh is so pretty!  I use the 50 the least.  I think my 35 is just so good I hardly touch anything else.   







4. What's your dream project or shoot?  




If I’m dreaming I might as well dream BIG!  I would love to travel Europe and photograph the architecture and people.  I am so drawn to street photography and photo journalism but I haven’t had an opportunity to try that out.  Plus who wouldn’t want to go to Europe?   







5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?  





Photography is challenging.  I feel like there are so many things I could list here but I think the biggest is self doubt.  It creeps up on me without warning and then I am stuck questioning everything I shoot.  I need to learn to trust my vision and my work as an artist.







6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...














How should you spend it?  I should save it for a new macro lens or that upgrade I have been wanting from the 85 1.8 to the 85 1.4. 

How do you wish you could spend it? I don’t have a super long wish list but I would love to get a lens baby and maybe the new shutterbag.  They are so pretty! 

How would you really spend it?  I probably would buy the lens baby and save the rest.  :)





7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?





Yes!  I wish I would of known to follow my heart.  Kinda cliche, I know.  At the beginning of my photography journey I thought that only studio portraits were pretty and really tried to emulate that even though I had no lights, props or backgrounds.  It didn’t work.  Once I realized that real life was where my heart was l and shot what I loved, my images meant more to me and in turned that love showed in my work.   









Too see more of Cynthia's ravishing imagery you can visit her at

FACEBOOK WEBSITE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts