Friday, November 29, 2013

Featured Friday with Amanda diMonda of DiMonda Photography


Amanda was the winner of the "rhythm" theme challenge.
1. Please tell us about yourself...

I am a mom to identical twin girls who have reminded me what it is like to live life with your eyes and your heart wide open.  I was born and raised in Minnesota, but the universe sent me my love from another state and currently reside in Long Island, NY with my best friend and husband and of course our two girls and can not leave out our two crazy black labs!  I am a dreamer who has always wondered what lay behind what is seen...always digging deep into everything.



 2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?


Dreamy, emotional and natural.  I chose these words because this is what I strive to capture.  I love finding the light and do my best to use it to help me tell a story or pull your eye to what I see.  Natural, because for me that is when you capture the best moments, connections,  the child's own personality and true smiles.





 3. What sparked your passion for photography?


I always have had a love for art of all kinds including photography, however, I never considered it as a career.  I wanted to be a veterinarian and was on that path until my girls were born.  Life lead me down unexpected turns and I was told I would not survive another pregnancy.  It was hard news to take in, but I took it and turned it into a passion of capturing my own children's lives.  Their very beautiful ordinary simple moments that I never wanted to forget.  I realized during those first few years that I loved it, and how amazing it would be to be able to give that gift to other families.





4. What's in your camera bag right now?

Canon 5D Mark ii
50 mm 1.4 L
135 mm 2.0 L
24-70 L






 5. What is your dream shoot or project?

I have two.  I love when I find families who are laid back and love to have fun with their kids.  Who are open to their every day being documented, messy hand print walls and all.  To be let into "their" world as beautiful and chaotic as it maybe and capture their "gift of an ordinary day" and to be able to show them how amazing their story is.  To maybe help them slow down and take it all in and love every part of childhood and their life as it goes by too fast.  That makes me so happy!
Another would be more personal.  Maybe of my girls, maybe of another child...but one that reminds me of me when I was young.  A child whose imagination and spirit knows there is more to this world, more that lies beyond our everyday and dreams of finding it.  Who feels nature just as much as she/he feels their family and loves how the quiet song of the world moves them.  To go out into a beautiful forest, mountain, lake...where ever their heart pulls them and capture a piece of their soul.  Pure and true with out worry of what the world around them tells them they should feel.  And hope that my pictures shows them  its perfect to be exactly who they are and give them the confidence to be themselves, and no one else.  That they are beautiful just the way they are and to never change but only grow stronger in that.





 6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?







I think the biggest misconception or idea about photography I have seen is that just like any other job, you do not truly know what goes into photography and how much time it takes to make your own art.  We do not just take a picture with an expensive camera and call it a day.  To make art it truly takes time, investment in yourself and your passion before and after each session.  Also, that running a successful photography business you really need to have an understanding of the business side and customer service.  You need to find and do your best to keep a balance.  That's key...balance.


7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?







Find what sets you apart.  Everyone holds something unique and special that only they have.  Find that, embrace it and let it shine through your work. Do not worry what every other photographer is doing and compare it to where you are.  Dig deep into you, your soul, your passion, your life and be true to you....if you do this it will never fail you.  Find time to photograph things just for you and not just for work.  Never stop learning and challenging yourself.









To see more of Amanda's captivating work, you can catch up with her here...

FACEBOOK | WEBSITE | BLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts