Friday, November 22, 2013

Featured Friday with Liz Godfrey Of Liz Godfrey Photography



Liz was the winner of our "dream" theme challenge.



1.  Please tell us about yourself...







Mother, wife and photographer.  My two children, Luca and Ella are simply the bees knees and my daily inspiration.  I am married to a wonderful Brit whom I met in a bar while on ski trip in Whistler.  Always swore I would never meet someone in a bar, so I still say we met "apres-ski".  Active children + witty husband, along with a crazy and lovable dog keep me busy as well as laughing.  After many years of travel around the world and relocation, we are finally settled in a beautiful part of Connecticut and now it's full steam ahead with my photography.




2.  Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?







Oh boy, this is a tricky one as I'm still trying to figure this out.  Best one word to describe me at the moment would be eclectic.  My creative evolution really got going last year and ever since then it has been simply evolving.  I love candid moments captured, I'm obsessed with natural light (would love to master this one day!) and have a special place in my heart for black and white. Photographing people brings me a lot of joy, especially when I can capture a look or emotion that was unexpected yet reveals a little something of the person's character.  I am someone who likes to try different things and without variety I start to feel a bit bored.




3.  What sparked your passion for photography?







I've always had a love for photography since getting my first Polaroid camera as a teenager - gosh, that was long ago! I used to dream of being a National Geographic photographer and explorer and who knows maybe there is still time.  I did want to study photography at university but to be honest, I lacked the confidence back then to pursue my dream and was plagued by lots of self-doubt.  Instead, I majored in Art History and just enjoyed traveling and taking photos.  After my children came along, I got more interested in photography and it wasn't until August of 2012 that I decided to commit to learning how to shoot in manual and follow my dream.  The spark has really always been there I just needed to relight it, keep any fear at bay and not be afraid to commit to it.




4.  What's in your camera bag right now?





Canon 5d mark ii, 85mm 1.8 lens, 24-105mm 4.0 lens




5.  What is your dream shoot or project?






Obviously, I love photographing my children and will continue to do so.  My dream would be to make all the ideas in my head happen and not just keeping them as ideas.  I am interested in exploring more creative, storytelling type of portrait shoots and I always have been fascinated by unique locations such as the Utah salt flats.



6.  What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey?  Have they changed, and how?






That I had to find my style in order to be successful. Awhile ago, I read an interview with Andee Tate at Crave Photography in which she explained that it was okay to be eclectic and not be bound to fit any type of mold -  reading this interview reaffirmed to me that it's okay to experiment, listen to my own heart and focus on my own creative journey.



7.  What advice would you give to newbie photographers?  What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?







To keep practicing, keep learning, explore a variety of things, places and perspectives when shooting, as you just might stumble upon something that gives you that "a-ha" moment.  Also, not to get caught up in comparing yourself to others and focus on your journey and creative evolution.











To see more of Elizabeth's ethereal imagery you can visit her at...

FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts