Friday, November 1, 2013

Featured Friday with Cecily Cook of Chaos & Bliss Photography



Cecily was our theme challenge winner at Snap Maven this week. That challenge was to create an image with the theme "joy".


1. Please tell us about yourself.


I’m the mother of three kids (Isaac 15, Gracie 11, and Evie 6) and I’ve been married going on 18 years. I’m messy and unorganized, probably laugh too loud, and constantly have a song in my head.  







2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?


Colorful, Real, Joyful.
I guess I chose those words because that’s what I love to shoot. I love finding the color and joy in real life (wow, can I be ANY cheesier?).





3. What sparked your passion for photography?

I took my first (and last) photography class in college (pre-digital days) when my oldest was a toddler. Admittedly, my gritty, wanna be starving artist type professor wasn’t all that jazzed about oodles of pictures of my 2 year old, but I learned a lot about what I liked. I love seeing life in a frame and freezing time. I love that I can go back to those grainy, black and white pictures of my round headed boy and remember what we were doing that day, what we were feeling, and how we were.
It took several years for me to really start shooting on a regular basis again and even longer to really make it into a business, but the seed was planted in that class. I should probably thank that professor for lighting that first fire under my rear, but he’d likely roll his eyes at my fluffy, meaningless work. 
Ha.




4. What's in your camera bag right now?


I’m pretty low frills when it comes to equipment. I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II, a 50mm 1.4 and a 20mm 2.8. When I shoot weddings I rent a 70-200mm 2.8 (it’s my one non-prime concession.
The compression is too pretty to ignore) and/or a 135mm 2.8.





5.What is your dream shoot or project?


Honestly, I love the idea of stylized shoots and I love looking at them, but it’s not me. 
My dream shoot is really what I’m doing with my family. Documenting life. 





6.What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

The biggest thing for me was this idea in my head that in order for me to be a “real” photographer, I’d need a studio. I know some amazing studio photographers, but over the past few years, I’ve realized that not having a studio space is totally okay with me. I live in a place with some downright stunning outdoor backdrops and I love taking advantage of them.




7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

If you look for inspiration, you’ll find it. Whether it’s other photographers, your past work, your life, your kids, nature--whatever--be open to inspiration in its many forms.
Ask questions and be receptive to answers, but look for your own answers too. 
Get out and shoot. A lot. 






Thanks so much for the feature. I'm really so honored.

Cecily Cook
Too see more of Cecily's colorful, real, and joyful imagery, you can catch up with her at 

2 comments:

  1. Again, thank you so much for the feature! It made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work! I can't wait for our shoot next week!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts