Sunday, November 10, 2013

Showcase Sunday with Rachel Barb of Carter Cole Photography

Rachel was our theme challenge winner at Snap Maven this week. That challenge was to create an image with the theme "going places".
1. Please tell us about yourself... 
My name is Rachel and I am 31 years old! I am married to my soul mate and we have three kids together! We are a football obsessed family from Northern VA!



2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? 
Why those words? In the moment. I say that because even though I am not technically a "lifestyle" photographer, I do everything in my power during a session for my clients to feel in the moment, natural, real. I will be a total dork during a session to get a real smile out of my clients and their children. I will dance around and look completely ridiculous if that means they're enjoying themselves!




3. What sparked your passion for photography?
 Like a lot of photographers, my children sparked my interest. I have three kids and from the time I had my first daughter I always had a camera in my hand and I found joy in looking at the images I was able to create of them! 



4. What's in your camera bag right now? 
Canon Mark III, Canon 85MM 1.2, Tamron 28-75 2.8, and the nifty 50! But the 85 rarely comes off!



5. What is your dream shoot or project? 
I have been dreaming of a full stylized session with a newly engaged couple that includes waterfalls.....There is a place about 2 hours from me and I plan to create this dream shoot in the beginning of next  summer! 



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? 
Have they changed, and how? Hmmmmm this is tough!!! I think when I started out that I needed to have the best camera to be the best photographer, I wanted to throw all my money into something just because it was the "best" gear. I am SO thankful that I didn't! I started with the Canon Rebel, shot with that for a year, and then moved to the 40D and I shot with that camera for over 3 years. I pushed myself to max every bit of the bodys capability out. It wasn't until the beginning of 2013 when I felt like I was being held back by my camera did I upgrade to the big daddy LOL. I tell every new photographer I meet, learn your camera, know everything that it can do, and spend the money on the glass before the body! 

7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers?What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning? 
Aside from the above, knowing and learning your equipment....Be You! Don't let other photographers work define you. Experiment with different styles and grow into the photographer you want to be, do the type of photography that makes you happy and speaks to who you are, not what someone else is doing. 
Thank you so much for choosing me this week, it's an AMAZING feeling!!!!!!
You can see more of Rachel's amazing imagery here...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts