Monday, October 21, 2013

Meet This Week's Guest Judge and Mavenista: Cris Stephens{Skies} October 22, 2013



1. Tell us about yourself...

 I am an Italian that was born and raise in Argentina but lived in the US for the last 13 years. I used to speak three languages. Lately, I am not sure what language I speak lol. I am a mom of two and a wife of one handsome and supportive man who has been with me for 12 years; during the happiest and saddest moments of my life. I am a dreamer and super ultra passionate in everything I do. I love to create and just let my inside talk through my art. The older I get the happier I feel with little things of life. A rainy day... a laughter of a kid.




2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

 While being a child I would spend hours looking at the National Geographic magazines that my dad would buy and received through the mail. I wouldn't understand a word of what was written, but the photographs just told me all the stories and even more. I would sit on the wood floor for hours. Just surrounded by the "yellow magazines". Gosh, I dreamt so much, and traveled the world with my eyes closed =). Now the fuel comes from inside. I just feel connected with my subject and the moment each time that I peak through my lens.




3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 

Right now I have my macro 100mm and my wide angle lens in my camera (lenses that I used for a newborn session a few days ago). I also have always with my my zoom lens 70-300mm which allows me not to invade my subject by being at the distance, and to get the best spontaneous moments and the most fabulous bokeh ;-). Lately, the lens that I have used the least is my lens baby. But I adore what I can do with it. I am crazy about dramatic black and white photography and distortions always give such beautiful drama.




4. What's your dream project or shoot? 

My dream shoot was achieved when I went with Deb Schwedhelm (just me and her) to shoot while sunrise in the water. She is the reason I am doing this. I dreamt about meeting her so many times. Now after two years shooting, I can say that she is one of my dearest friends and I dreamt awake by her side. It was a weekend I will never forget.




5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer? I was just asked this question and my answer was "money". And I will say the same thing. I do this because this is art to me and I can express from inside making me feel so complete and happy. The challenge is not to get distracted by the sweetness of money. And always saying "no" when my monthly sessions are full. I only take a few sessions per month and that allows me to continue enjoying this from beginning to the end. I do not want the business part of this steal the magic that the artistic part should have. So I always remind me that once the spots are full, they are full. I love having the time to enjoy my family. That is also my priority right now. Seeing my kids growing up =) ( I am a hands on mom ;-))



6. You are for the most part, a self taught photographer, so would you say photography is something that comes naturally to you? Is there anything else you can say without a doubt does NOT come naturally to you?

 What I LOVE from being self taught is that I found myself first and then learnt from the rest. I knew who I was, what I wanted to project, the style that represented me and so many other things before I knew how to use aperture or how to play with shutter speed. Then I studied and researched non stop. Still do =). Something that comes natural to me is just shooting what I feel and projecting it to a final image. I am not afraid of showing something that is not technically correct. I do not stress while shooting. I fell in love with imperfections and sometimes, those imperfections give me the most beautiful artistic images. What does not come natural to me, is to explain other people how I do what I do! lol explaining with a technical language how I shoot sometimes is like science to me lol




7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey? 

Not to get distracted with editing. I am also self taught in PP as well. But in the beginning I wanted to do it all. I wish somebody told me to just shoot and shoot forgetting PP. And then, going for it. Many of my images were destroyed by my poor PP while starting. I should have left them be in raw and meanwhile play my editing "in private" lol.







To see more of Cris' beautiful imagery, you can visit her at

1 comment:

  1. Cris, when are you teaching a workshop? Tell me, and I will be there! It would be a dream to meet you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts