Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Minimalism Portrait Top Ten October 1, 2013

 "Minimalism is any design or style wherein the simplest and fewest elements are used to create the maximum effect." Wikipedia

Choosing this week's challenge winners were definitely a difficult task for me! So many fabulous entries and only 11 to whittle down to. First I'd like to thank everyone for posting and please, KEEP submitting each week!!! ~ Alethia

In no particular order here are this weeks top ten:


This image was simply emotional. For me minimalism can convey a subject or just one emotion. This image spoke of both. 

This image has the open space that I love but also had a dream like quality. It reminded me of a child looking up into the sky and facing the big world ahead. 

Minimalism in its simplest form. Its not just a fork though. The focus is on the tips but you still get a sense of what it is and to further the range the shadow also adds that element of depth.  

This image spoke to me on another level. This is what I get when I envision my children when they were young. I have had three kids so only bits and pieces of memories remain and this reminded me of that.  

The composition and the implied story drew me to this image. I'm left wondering what they are up to.  Its a simple shot, but yet they could be wreaking havoc beyond those cabinets. 

I "felt" this image. I could sense the spines touching my fingertips. Sometimes the simplicity is found in the implied touch of an image. 

 Minimalism is not just one thing in a space, its also the breaking down of all distractions. I see a person on that boat just trying to be in the moment and being one with their surroundings.

The color of this image stood out to me. Its not only minimal in its design but the rainbow of colors also implies variety in the world. When everything else is stripped away we really are all just the same even if we look different. 

"Summer transitions to fall." That is what I heard when I saw this image. The green representing the summer and the fall in the leaf. Fall is in the air, but summer will always be sitting in the background waiting to blossom once again.   

I loved the open space this image had and the fact that your eye is immediately drawn to the couple. Its just these two people in the entire world in that moment. 


And the challenge Winner!



What I loved about this image was that it conveyed all of my senses. I taste the strawberries, smell the dirt on a summer day picking them, feel the seeds on the strawberry's skin, I see the bright red and the glistening light softly touching them and I can hear the birds softly chirping as I sit in the garden picking the fruit. 

Congratulations to Bo & the Bean by Jana O'Flaherty!!!!

Jana, if you could answer these seven questions, and send 5-10 of your best images (by Thursday 10/3)  to:

snapmaven.info@gmail.com



 1. Please tell us about yourself.

 2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

 3. What sparked your passion for photography?

 4. What's in your camera bag right now?

 5. What is your dream shoot or project?

 6. What are some of the hurdles you have had to overcome this far in your photography journey?

7. What advice would you give to other photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?




1 comment:

Popular Posts