Monday, October 28, 2013

Meet this Week's Guest Judge: Cate Wnek {joy} October 29, 2013







1. Tell us about yourself… 

I discovered my singular passion for photography about a year ago. I am enthusiastic, caring, and genuine.  Home is with my family on the coast of Maine.  I am blessed with a husband of 15 years whom I met in college. We have been together for more than half our lives. He is my best friend. We share two children, both boys – Tucker (7) and Finn (4).  A good day is when there is a fun dinner is planned, like homemade fajitas and margarita, following a fun day outside playing and taking pictures. I relish a quiet run on the long private road we live on that passes along the sound. My life is full of pitter patter, stories, Ninja training, Legos, bedtime, laundry, music, bus stop runs, and of course, beautiful light. 






2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now? 


Looking back, one of my favorite memories from Elementary school was learning about light and prisms. Then when I was sixteen, I went France for five weeks to visit our exchange student, and came home with some beautiful images. But, I didn't realize then that I had a passion for photography. Like many, I arrived at photography because I wanted to learn how to take more wonderful pictures of my two children. 






What fuels it now?

My heart. It makes me happy to hold my camera. I am deeply immersed in documenting this intimate, fleeting time that I have with my children. I’ve come to see their world differently now, with greater appreciation.  I aim to capture their imaginations, their little ways of being themselves doing what they love. Oh, even the crying, whining, stomping ones.  To remember the beauty of two small boys growing up together, especially their unique expressions and feelings. They are always changing, making my life richer.  I shoot from my heart with the intent to pour and bottle it all into an image that is worthy and as memorable as the moment.

There is always something new to learn, and that is wonderfully satisfying. I continually strive to improve.







3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 

Canon 5D Mark III, Sigma 35 mm 1.4 and Canon 70-200mm 2.8L. Collecting dust are my Sigma 50 1.4 and my Canon 24-105mm 4L lenses.






4. What's your dream project or shoot? 

I am shooting it, everyday!







5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer? 

I get so carried away with my photography, that I need to be careful to remember to take a step back and do something different for a day or two, just to stay well-rounded.

Perhaps a bigger challenge is overcoming the fear that my best image is behind me. In a way I am thankful for this fear, as it pushes me to get better and better. 






6. If you had $500 to spend on photography... How should you spend it? How do you wish you could spend it? How would you really spend it? 

I recently saw an engagement session that made me wish that I could have fantastic images taken of my husband and me together, as well as with our children. I try to get in the frame here and there, but to have someone talented come over and capture us together. That would be meaningful. I should find someone to do this soon. 









7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Shoot everyday, following your heart, and share. Thinking of photographer Emmet Gowin - we all have a story to tell, one that fits into the lives and feelings of others in a meaningful way.





To see more of Cate's everyday moments made amazing, you can visit her at

FACEBOOK | WEBSITE | BLOG

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Snap Maven for inviting me to guest judge and to share a bit about my story and images!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts