Friday, October 25, 2013

Featured Friday with Michele Quattrin of mQn Photography


Michele was our theme challenge winner at Snap Maven this week. That challenge was to create an image with the theme "skies". 



1. Please tell us about yourself...

Lot of people ask me what mQn stands for and it’s just my initials.  Michele (with one “L”) Nicole Quattrin.  I like the traditional way of initials so hence the capital Q in the middle.  I’m a California girl; grew up in Riverside California, moved to San Francisco for college met my husband then moved to Massachusetts for his job for 4 ½ years then moved to Indiana for his job for just 10 months and now we are currently living in Minnesota (again for his job and no he is not in the military).  We have two kids; a boy and a girl and a 10 year old black Lab. 





2.       Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

How about 2 words?  Lifestyle Portraiture . . .  My goal is to capture timeless portraits in a real setting.






3.       What sparked your passion for photography?

I was minoring in journalism in college until I took a photojournalism class and I just fell in love with it.  I loved everything about it; the darkroom, capturing real moments in people, having a picture say what 100 words could not, everything.  But even as a kid I always had a camera on me.  I was always taking pictures.






4.       What's in your camera bag right now?

Canon 5D mark II with the 50 1.2L on (which rarely if ever comes off) 100 2.8L macro; 85 1.8; 70-200L 4.0; Lensbaby and edge optic; a squeaky toy to get kids attention; hand sanitizer, and Excedrin

.




5.       What is your dream shoot or project?

I really really want to shoot children’s clothing.  I think I just buy my daughter obscene amounts of clothes just so I can photograph it.  






6.       What are some of the hurdles you have had to overcome this far in your photography journey?

Moving!  We have lived in 4 states in the past 7 years.  I feel like as soon as I get settled and known and busy, we up and move and I have to start all over again getting my name out there.  It’s tough because each year more and more photographers enter the field.  And I refuse to compete with anyone.





7.       What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

My advice . . . be nice, be thankful and be you.  Advice I wish I would have gotten . . .  don’t let others tell you what to shoot.  Photograph what you want and how you want.  Its ok to say no thank you.






To see more of Michele's fabulous imagery, you can visit her at

1 comment:

Popular Posts