Wednesday, April 2, 2014

a beautiful birth session from amanda o'donoughue photography

I am grateful to Snap Maven for being the first inspirational blog to share one of my birth sessions. I chose this birth to share because it crystallized my love for home birth photography. 

The birth shown here is an accidental, unassisted birth in the client’s childhood home. The midwife was driving in from out of town. The traffic and weather held her up longer than expected.  When I arrived, I heard a conversation happening over a speaker phone between the soon to be father and midwife. It was immediately clear to me that the baby was being born and that the midwife would not be present. I ran to the bathroom, perched myself up and out of the way, and within minutes I was photographing a father confidently delivering his own baby. It was surreal, and, even under the unexpected circumstances, it was one of the most peaceful births I have ever witnessed. 

The location alone was one of the most beautiful places I have ever photographed. The light was dim and moody from the relentless seasonal rains. The home itself was nestled on 20 acres of mossy oaks and resurrection fern. The knotty pine covering the floors and ceilings held the warmth and love of a lifetime of childhood memories for the laboring mother. The experience was truly, truly an unforgettable one. 





















please click here to view the full story and watch the video of the birth.  

you can also visit amanda at her website, amandaodonoughuephotography.com













1 comment:

  1. Amanda, this is so wonderful. What a beautiful experience for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts