Friday, April 11, 2014

Feature Friday with Nicki Bosch Photography







1.       Please tell us about yourself...
I am wife to a handsome & charming guy who also happens to be my best friend and the biggest supporter of my photography habit. I am also the lucky mom to 5 awesome kids -- 3 girls and 2 boys -- who are all beautifully photogenic. They are not as supportive of my photography habit (wink, wink).  Oh, the bribes I have to resort to these days! I’m originally from Pittsburgh but now live in New Jersey and work in NYC -- yet all I want to do is go back to Pittsburgh to shoot around my old neighborhoods! It’s is way vintage-y gorgeous there -- but I didn’t realize it until I left and went back.






2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
"Evolving every day." Because I have an idea where I'm headed, but not sure when I'll get there. I hope it's not too soon though, as I'm thoroughly enjoying the journey.




3. What sparked your passion for photography?
My grandfather was a hobbyist and took amazing photos of my father and aunts as children in Italy, and around Pittsburgh when they moved to the U.S. From as far back as I can remember I have always loved looking at his photographs, which sparked my interest in all vintage photos, especially old tin types. They just fascinate me and have a haunting quality that makes me want to step into them and live life back in time. I took some photography classes in college (with film cameras) and always loved shooting in black and white. But when I graduate and moved to NYC I got out of the habit of shooting and put down my camera for a long while.
 
When our second child was born, my hubby bought me my first DSLR and I’ve been hooked ever since. Though, I didn’t become obsessed about learning and growing my skills until last spring when I helped photograph my daughter’s preschool class for a keepsake album. I went online and joined a bunch of photography communities, took some workshops with photographers I admire, and experimented a lot. My next adventure is going back to film with one of my grandfather’s old cameras, so I guess I’ve almost come full circle!


 

4. What's in your camera bag right now?
Canon 6D, a 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 35 mm f2, Lensbaby Composer Pro with Edge 80 and Sweet 35 optics, my grandfather’s refurbished Yashica-D. Plus Smith’s Rosebud Lip Balm (I’m addicted!) and diapers and wipes for my 20 month old who is usually with me when I’m out shooting! <3




5. What is your dream shoot or project?
Well, since I can’t time travel, my more realistic dream shoot is to go down to the deep south and shoot at abandoned old farm houses and plantations.  I’d have my daughters in vintage depression era feed sack dresses and shoot wet plate collodion images of them. It’s so oddly specific, I know, but that’s what I have in my head
 
I have a pinterest board dedicated to imagery that really inspires me.  Link to folow if you are interested in checking it out.  I think the collection says a lot about me and where I hope to go with my work. 
 





6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
I guess in the beginning I was worried that I’d never grasp the technical aspects enough to shoot what I wanted, the way I wanted. But it just took practice. Actually, A LOT of practice. But once I understood my camera in my head, it became easier to shoot with my heart, if that makes sense. 
 
As for misconceptions about photographers, at first I felt like they probably all knew some big secret that I was not in on. How to use the light, how to pick the best locations, how to make magic in photoshop, etc. Now I see that the “secrets” are inside each individual artist, as there is no one way to shoot, and no one magic formula.
 
I have met some of the most creative, kind, passionate and generous artists since I have become involved in photography communities. I have found lots of kindred spirits, new friends, and mentors who give of themselves so selflessly. I wish I could meet more of them in person!



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
Number one would be to learn your camera and shoot in manual. But since that's really a no brainer, my next advice would be to trust yourself and your artistic vision. You are not competing with other photographers and you should not worry about emulating anyone else. Nobody else can see things through your eyes. Value that and use it to make your own way.
 
As for advice I wish I had been given at the very beginning? I’d say -- save your money until you have a better idea of who you are as an artist. Photography is an expensive hobby and you want to be able to buy that awesome new camera and lenses once you figure out which ones are right for you and your work.  I’ve wasted a lot of money on things I thought I needed. But it turns out, I just needed to know my light.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts