Tuesday, April 1, 2014

feature friday (or...uh...feature tuesday) with janice osburne of east view photography!!

let's get to know a little about the insanely talented janice osburne of eastview photography...



Tell us about yourself..
I am a wife, a mother, a native New Yorker, a Southern Californian, Irish, a lover of Jesus and all things fall and winter.


Can you describe your style in three words..
Er..uhmmm..hmmm..no!



What ignited your passion...
When I was a little girl I used to sit for hours looking through the old boxes of photos that my parents had. I was enthralled by them. I got my first 35mm camera when I was 17 and I've been taking pictures ever since.
I went to college when I was a kid (many moons ago!) for photography and have recently started classes at our local community college. I am loving shooting film again. I spent six hours in the darkroom one day..I didn't even notice the time. That moment when your image starts to appear in the developer..well, it's like Christmas to me!
I love capturing light, a fleeting expression, sweeping landscapes and...feet! I'm also slightly obsessed with Huntington Beach.






What's in your camera bag..
I recently bought an Epiphanie bag and oh my gosh I love it. Let's see I have my Nikon D7000, Nikon 35 1.4, Nikon 85 1.4 (both lenses to die for) and my Lensbaby is tucked in the corner. When I'm shooting an assignment for school my Canon AE1 replaces the 85. There's an empty film canister, a neutral density filter, various lens cleaning stuff and some mints.



Dream shoot..
Wow..so many things come to mind! There were some studio portraits of Mick Jagger floating around on the Internet recently and I thought they were great. I looked up the photographer and he's right here in Los Angeles. I was thinking of writing to him and asking him if he needed someone to carry his camera bag! On a more realistic note though, I would love to shoot a herd of wild mustangs.



Misconceptions..
I thought I could go from film photography straight into digital without skipping a beat. Boy, was I wrong. It took me months just to get focusing down..and then there's Photoshop! I am loving learning it all but it's been a longer journey than I thought.



Advice to newbies..
I had a photography teacher tell us one time..'You're only as good as your last shoot.' I thought that was a bit harsh but I think what he meant was that you can't rest on your laurels when it comes to photography. It's a living thing in a way. There's always something to learn. So you kind of need to strap in, take a deep breath and get ready for the journey. You can't take enough pictures. I think I've learned the most by trial and error and just taking thousands of photos. Try not to compare..your view of the world is unique!




please visit janice over on her Facebook page, eastview photography!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts