Sunday, February 9, 2014

Meet This Week's Judge: Anna Gay Leavitt


This week's judge is Anna Gay Leavitt, and incredibly talented photographer. Her evocative work touches on all human emotions. After enjoying her interview here, see more at AnnaGPhotog & annagay.com



1. Tell us about yourself...
I am originally from Georgia - just outside of Atlanta - and have lived here my entire life. I discovered my love of photography about six years ago, and haven't looked back! I am currently an MFA candidate in Studio Art at the University of Georgia, but when I am not shooting or studying, I am spending time with my husband, Evan, who is also a photographer. We also have two cats, and a betta fish.  I am also a regular contributor at Pretty Presets, Rock the Shot, Mortal Muses, and the author of a Digital Photography School ebook.


 


 
2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?
I think I must have always secretly wanted to be a photographer, because I have always had friends who are photographers, and was constantly curious about their cameras. I was always afraid to try photography, though, because I think I was afraid I wouldn't be any good at it – I never thought of myself as artistic. Finally, I picked up a camera one day on a whim, and realized that I didn't even care if I was a "good" or "bad" photographer - I just enjoyed making photos! Since then, I've tried to let that genuine love of making photos carry me on my journey. I sometimes get stressed out, and even discouraged by photography, so when I find myself feeling that way, I remind myself that I truly love photography, and couldn't imagine life without it. 


3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?
Right now, I have a 5D Mark ii with a 50mm lens, and a remote shutter release in my bag – I try to keep only the basics in my camera bag. I also use my Holga 120 a good bit. I think the item that I use the least is my set of macro filters. 


4. What's your dream project or shoot?
My dream would be to move to the middle of nowhere, and spend all of my time making wet plate collodion images and salt prints of rural Georgia. We're talking cabin-on-a-farm middle of nowhere! 


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?
I think my challenge is the same as a lot of photographers in the fine art and academic fields (or any field of photography, for that matter) – staying relevant, while also remaining true to my own vision. It’s a slippery slope, because you want to generate interest in your work and be shown in galleries, but you also don’t want to fall into the trap of following trends just for the sake of being noticed. 


6.  If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?
I should probably get some cameras/lenses cleaned.

How do you wish you could spend it?
To buy film, especially quirky films that I have never tried. I have been dying to try the LomoChrome Purple color infrared film: http://shop.lomography.com/us/films/lomography-film/lomochrome-purple-400-120-10pack-new
How would you really spend it?
I would probably compromise. Maybe get one camera cleaned, and buy just a little bit of the LomoChrome.


7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?
I really wish some kind, caring individual, had told me (gently) that there is a fine line between the perfect amount of Photoshop, and completely over-editing in Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts