Wednesday, June 24, 2015



This week's judge is Karen of Karen Osdieck Photography. She has chosen "environmental portrait" for the theme this week, and has shared some of her beautiful photos and thoughts. Enjoy!


1. Tell us about yourself...

I am a wife to my college sweetheart and a mother of two sweet little boys (14 months apart) that keep us extremely busy.  I have had a love for documenting life for as long as I can remember which I owe all to my dad.  He passed his love for photography on to me and I am happy to pass it on to my boys.  They love finding light streaming into our house and looking for shadows!  I took a black and white film photography class in college and learned how to develop and print images in a dark room.  That was an amazing experience which only furthered my love for photography.  

I purchased my first dslr in 2011 when my first son was born.  After that I was on a mission to learn everything I needed to know to create images that matched my vision!  I've taken a few workshops and grew so much after each one.  I never imagined I would be where I am today!



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

My main inspiration comes from my boys.  I am inspired by real emotions and connections, by dramatic and interesting light and by creating images that make my viewer feel something.  Once I learned how to see light it opened endless possibilities for my images.  One of my goals is to find beauty in my everyday.



3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

Nikon d610, 24-70mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8mm, 50mm 1.8, an external flash. I use my 35mm the most and I use my external flash the least!



4. What's your dream project or shoot?

I want to shoot my kids at Lake Vermillion in Minnesota. It's a special place for my family and one of the most beautiful lakes in the country!


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

My biggest challenge is getting the cooperation of my kids! I'm sure all you ladies can relate! I have learned some really good tricks along the way that work well with each of my boy's personalities.



6. If you had $500 to spend on photography... How should you spend it? How do you wish you could spend it? 
How would you really spend it?

I would spend it on a workshop or mentoring!



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Do not get overwhelmed and learning takes time and practice!


Thank you for joining us this week, Karen!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts