Friday, June 5, 2015

Feature Friday with Emily Poston Photography!

The fabulously sweet and talented Emily Poston of Emily Poston Photography was the winner of last week's food challenge!  Read on to get a peek into her camera bag and discover what advice to she would give new photographers!



1.  Please tell us about yourself...

I’m a 30-ish year old mother of two little girls who are my favorite subjects to photograph (naturally).  I also work part time as a nurse and have a small photography business, specializing in newborns.  My awesome, supportive husband serves as Emily Poston Photography’s CFO and CCP (chief childcare provider!).  I live in mid-Missouri and love it here!  The weather is always changing and there are a lot of great parks, trails and creeks where we enjoy fishing and being outdoors.  




2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

Emotive, Soft, Clean.  I strive to create timeless portraits that show honest moments and real emotion.  Laughing shots are my favorite!





3. What sparked your passion for photography?

When my first daughter was born, it was March Madness time.  My husband was the winner in his pool and bought me my first DSLR camera with his winnings!  I was determined to learn how to use it properly and read as much as I could about that camera and manual exposure.  I eventually joined the Clickin’ Moms community and began taking workshops and forming friendships with other photographers. 






4. What's in your camera bag right now?

I have a super boring (but practical!) Lowepro bag.  Inside is:  my backup camera (Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 35mm 1.8 lens), ExpoDisc, lens pen, Nikon 70-200 2.8 (my fave!), Nikon SB-700 flash with Lightsphere, chalk and Smarties.   My primary camera is a Nikon D610 with the Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 and I keep it out on a bookcase for easy access!  




5. What is your dream shoot or project?
Well, newborns are my absolute favorite subject to photograph, but I think it would be so cool to photograph a series of pastries and sweets for a bakery!  I’m picturing rustic wood boards, sprinkles of flour, and a sort of moody window light.



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

Gosh, the biggest misconception I had was that “it can’t be that hard”.  Boy, was I wrong!  The more I learned about photography, the more I realized how much I *didn’t* know.  I’m still learning and I think I’ll always look back on my older photos and think about what I could have done better. 




7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
Early in my photography journey, someone advised me to take learning one step at a time.  Focus on one aspect of photography (white balance, focus, exposure, composition, lighting, etc) at a time.  It quickly becomes overwhelming when you try to learn everything at once.  Having the internet is such a great resource, but it’s easy to get bogged down in tutorials and articles.  Start with learning how to master manual exposure.  Once you have a solid understanding of that, move on to white balance; then, composition, etc. 


Find more of Emily's gorgeous work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts