Thursday, May 28, 2015

This Week's Judge: Jana O'Flaherty



Our own Jana O'Flaherty, of Photography 2204, is judging this week's "delicious" theme. She has shared a few of her film photos with us, and some thoughts on using film in a digital era. 



While it would seem most appropriate to share some of my food work, and food along with food photography is definitely a passion, I've opted to go in another direction.


Dabbling in film is expensive and frustrating for me, but the photos are just so timeless.  I am fortunate to have a father who has passed on some cameras to me.  When I joined a retreat in Kalaloch this past January, I brought my new-to-me Nikon F80 and crossed my fingers (a roll I shot with it before was filled with shots with missed focus, so I was hopeful that the issue was me or the lens, not the camera).  Sadly, this roll came back with the same focus issues but despite that, I love these shots. 

All 4 shot with Nikon F80, Portra 400, developed and scanned at FIND





I also used my older Olympus OM2n.  This camera is a bit beat up, and it's manual focus so I really struggle with using it when shooting people, but the results always make me happy.


Shot with Olympus OM2n, Ektar, developed and scanned at FIND






My results are very hit and miss, and I don't often understand why a shot worked or didn't, but right now I'm enjoying the experience and loving the surprise when scans arrive.  In fact, I'm really looking forward to working film into my client work as well as my personal work.
Shot with Olympus OM2n, Portra 160, developed and scanned at FIND







Jana O'Flaherty of Photography 2204 is a professional photographer living in Thunder Bay, ON.  She loves her family, friends, strong coffee and good food (a glass of Riesling now and then doesn't hurt either).  Jana strives to produce work that is distinct and evocative through storytelling and lifestyle images, using both digital and film.  While simplicity is the hallmark of Jana's food work, her family photography focuses on genuine connections and emotion.

Website - www.photography2204.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/photography2204


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts