Friday, May 8, 2015

Feature Friday with DayBug Photo by Kristey Fritz!

We're so thrilled to share some work from DayBug Photo by Kristey Fritz.  Kristey was the winner of last week's 'macro' challenge, and has graciously shared some insight into her start in photography, her dream shoot, and more!



1. Please tell us about yourself...
Well. . . I'm 5'6". . . short dark hair. . . blue eyes. . . I love thunderstorms and shiny things ;) In all honestly I am just a small town girl who thrives in a tiny town in Idaho with my AMAZING little family, living the dream. . . one day at a time. I am a SAHM to three of the cutest, most brilliant and perfect little people EVER (I may be bias) ~ I am a wife to an OUTSTANDINGLY supportive and hard working hubby who would give anything to see me smile ~ I am the daughter of my HERO and one of the most optimistic people I have ever met who can find the silver lining no matter how big the storm ~ I am the sister to a couple of the most genuinely WONDERFULLY people a girl could ask for ~ and I am lucky enough to be able to focus on my creative passion through all the muses in my life, and every once in a while slow down and notice the tiny things that make this world so beautiful.



 2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
Genuine ~ I try to keep things as real and simple as possible. . . the beauty for me is in the tiny imperfections. Things are what they are and nothing is perfect. . . that is what makes it unique.
Calm ~ I love to sit in the quiet pockets of calm and enjoy them for what they are. This world is far to fast paced and hectic for me at times so photography, to me, is therapeutic. Patiently waiting for beauty to unfold and being able to capture that one still moment in time is magic.
Odd?!? ~ I actually pride myself on being different or "weird". . . there is no one in this entire world I would rather be than me and weird is cool in my book. It may not translate so well into my "style" but I look at an image and remember crawling around through the dirt with my rump in the air on the side of a road because the light just happened to be perfect, with oncoming traffic shaking their heads or straining their neck to see what the weirdo with the camera is doing over there. . . and it makes me giggle that I can just be the me I am lol.




3. What sparked your passion for photography?
As far back as I can remember I have been obsessed with taking pictures so I don't know if it was really a spark or just something that has always been there. Both my parents are very creative people and were very big on finding something you love and DOING IT. I truly feel like having my two youngest really made me stop and take a second look at what I love most about photography though. I always thought that to be great you had to give the public what they wanted. . . you had to market yourself and mold yourself into what sells but my true "spark" came when I just slowed down and realized that taking pictures wasn't a "job" I wanted to struggle with. . . it is a passion I want to excel at. Being able to take the moment to stop and clarify was huge for me and now I know that to be "great" I just need to shoot what makes me happy. . . nothing more, nothing less.


 4. What's in your camera bag right now?
I am a diaper bag/camera bag/purse all in one kinda Momma <3 So literally my "camera bag" has a little bit of EVERYTHING in there (I honestly think there are a few rocks in there and a dead dandelion that my 2 year old gave me as gifts from our last outing)
BUT shooting wise I am a Canon girl ;) I have my Canon 60D and my two main lenses - my Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro and my Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art :) I also couldn't live without my remote shutter release and my lens pen.


5. What is your dream shoot or project?
I would love to travel to Greece and take underwater images but realistically by dream shoot would be a day in the mountains with my little family on a calm, warm, overcast day. . . everyone in a great mood and eager to participate in a lovely family picture (I have yet to take a family picture with me in it that wasn't an epic fail. . . but I love those ones also)




6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
Starting out I truly felt like I had to be what everyone wanted and shoot what was asked of me and that is just not the case at all. If I just shoot from my heart I am happy and that is what matters.
Also starting out in the world of photography I had so many photo crushes and idolized so many amazing artists, putting them on a pedestal that seemed impossible to reach. This year I have had the honor of speaking with some of my idols online and I realized that they are just amazingly talented, down to earth REAL people. There is such an outstanding bond and connection that comes when you find someone who is just as passionate as you are about something and you realize that maybe, just maybe, you can be AMAZING also ;)


7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
 I would say:
1. This is not a competition!! You are amazing just the way you are so stop comparing yourself to everyone!! Figure out what you love about taking pictures and DO IT.

2. ASK QUESTIONS and put yourself out there! There is such a wealth of knowledge out there and so many people eager to help. Don't be too shy to get involved or find a group of people who share your passion and learn from each other (I LOVE my AMAZING 365 group - whoop whoop shout out to my girls and Gordon ;) )
3. LEARN YOUR CAMERA!!! Turn that little nob to M and go MAKE some pictures rather than just TAKING them! It isn't nearly as intimidating as you think ;)

Be humble. . . be kind. . . be you!

Find more of Kristey's beautiful work here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts