Tuesday, May 26, 2015

{embracing the shadows}

I am simply overwhelmed by the submissions this week!  I saw so many unique and beautiful ways that shadows were embraced to help draw out the emotion of the image - looking through all of them was so inspiring for me!  Thank you to everyone who participated :)  It was SO hard, but here are my favorites, in no particular order.

I love the feeling of innocence in this image.  
The black and white conversion and the use of strong shadows draws me to their white dresses and  anticipation for their exciting day.
Rebecca Healy Photography





...................................






This colors and tones in this image are beautiful, 
and I love the authenticity of the moment that has been captured. 
Kerri Turner Photography








...................................






I love the composition of this image, the details it includes and the way the sun is kissing his little curls. 
 There is a whole story of childhood wrapped up in this one image.
The Megan Hassold Photography Co.








...................................






This image feels so raw and beautiful to me.  
The emptiness of the room only serves to emphasize the beautiful bond between mother and baby.  Not to mention, the light is simply dreamy :) 
Cara Soulia Photography







...................................






This girls expression is so captivating.  
A beautiful classic portrait that has just a slight air of mystery to it.  







...................................





The strong horizontal shadows in this image beautifully emphasize the boy's serious expression.  
I feel a sense of tension and mood from it that wouldn't have carried the same effect 
had the shadows not been incorporated.
Kelly Jacobi Photography







...................................






I love the classic use of light and shadow in this and the spontaneous feel to it.....the little smirk on his face
makes it look like he may have just been caught being slightly mischievous.







...................................






My eyes just want to keep exploring this image.  I love all the details.....brother and sister taking turns practicing
in a room full of books and special possessions that subtly tell the story of this family. 
Jenny Gildea Photography








...................................






I just love the way this image is composed.  It's strong geometric shapes and beautiful lines add so much depth and dimension to the image.......depth that that is beautifully contrasted by the small silhouette of the child sitting on the floor.  





...................................






This is moment is so beautifully captured.  I love the deep shadows and tones of the image.....and the feeling of
calm and quiet that goes with it. 
Charissa Gilliland Photography








...................................






And the winner is.......





This quiet image is so powerful.  In this incredibly tender embrace between mother and child, I can feel the calm of the moment and their love for each other.......But I also feel a slight sense of relief from mom that her baby has fallen quietly asleep in her arms....the beautiful mix of joy and exhaustion present in those those precious early days with a new baby.  



Thank you again for sharing your beautiful work with me this week.  It's been an honor to guest judge and I am incredibly inspired by the gorgeous, and incredibly emotive, work I had the privilege to explore. 

"Shadows give depth and dimension to my life. I believe in embracing my duality, in learning to let darkness and light, peacefully co-exist, as illumination.” - Jaeda DeWalt

xo,
Jen

Jen Bilodeau Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts