Friday, May 22, 2015

Feature Friday with Shelby Truly Photography!

Shelby Fawcett of Shelby Truly Photography was the winner of last week's 'animals and our relationship with them' challenge, and she has graciously shared more of her beautiful work, along with a peek into her camera bag <3



 1.  Please tell us about yourself...
 I live in South Florida with my wonderful husband and two awesome cats.  I couldn't be where I am, without God in my life, and the encouragement of my husband. I love Doctor Who, thrift stores, and travelling (even though it doesn't happen as often as I would like).




2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

 Real, Emotional, Thoughtful.
I love documenting real life.  I want my clients to have a glimpse of their lives captured, so that in the years to come, they can look back and treasure how amazing their life has been. Even if life seemed boring, or chaotic back then, they can look at those photographs, and see how beautiful it was.




3. What sparked your passion for photography?

I received a point and shoot camera for my 14th birthday, and quickly fell in love with photography. Within a year, I had money saved, and purchased an SLR. I wasn’t sure what exactly I wanted to do in photography, but I knew that I wanted to spend my life making photographs. When I was 19, I did an environmental portrait project, photographing people in their homes. This project sparked my love for in-home documentary photography. After that project I knew I had found my niche.




4. What's in your camera bag right now?

 A Nikon D300s, 35mm 1.8, 28-300mm 2.8, and a 50mm 1.8. I use my 35mm most of the time. I am in the process of upgrading to a D750, and a sigma 35mm 1.4. I am super excited for the change!



5. What is your dream shoot or project?

 I love photographing day in the life sessions for families. The intimacy of someone welcoming you in to their home, and getting to capture their daily life is such a cool thing to be a part of. I would love to photograph Lacey Sturm (Original lead singer of Flyleaf) and her family. That would be such an honor! Lacey has had a huge impact on my life and I would love to capture her family. But really I love any session that is open, and honest, where the family lets me photograph their reality, with no pretending to be something they’re not. Also, some great natural light always helps.



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

I thought that the typical photos of a family together, posed, with forced smiles, looking at the camera was the only was to do family photography. I was so wrong! I never shoot that way now. I shoot real life, and all its imperfections. To me those are my favorite family photos, they are real, honest, and beautiful. Families can look back on them, and remember how their lives really use to look.



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

Learn manual now, if you haven’t already. I shot automatic for the first couple years of my journey. I didn't know how important manual was to getting the photographs I envisioned.

I wish someone would have told me it wasn't a competition. Photographers, should be a part of a community, helping each other, and growing together, not comparing themselves, and not hating their own work because someone else is further along in their journey.



Find more of Shelby's gorgeous work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts