Friday, August 29, 2014

Feature Friday with Ann Thompson Photography!

Ann Thompson of Ann Thompson Photography is the winner of last week's 'femininity' challenge, and she has graciously shared a bit about herself with us.  Grab a cup of coffee (or tea, or whatever you love!) and read on!




1.  1. Please tell us about yourself...

My name is Ann and I am a stay at home mom, and I've been married for 21 years.  I live in Washington state on a small hobby farm with horses, dogs, cats, chickens and a mini donkey.  I am a lover of animals of all kinds.  I love to take pictures of my human children and animal children daily and combine it into an album at the end of each year.  I started my photography business one year ago.




2.  Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
I feel like these words are ever changing, but right now I would say that they are emotive, honest and natural.  I love to capture emotion and evoke emotion while looking at my photographs.  My goal in my sessions is capture someone's true personality, a look or a moment that will always be a special memory.  I love the interaction in families and that special way they act around each other.



3.  What sparked your passion for photography?
I've always loved photography.  I think my first camera was a Polaroid and I took pictures of absolutely everything.  I took classes in high school and college as well, but got serious about it two years ago.  I spent a year really learning my camera and how to process images before I started my business.



4.  What's in your camera bag right now?

I shoot with a Nikon D800 and a variety of lenses.  I have a 135, 85, 70-200, 35, 105 macro, lens baby composer pro sweet 35 and my newest is the Sigma Art 50 1.4 which is super, super sharp and I love it.  Most of the time my 85 or 70-200 is on my camera.  There is also some gum in there, memory cards, and a spare battery.



5.  What is your dream shoot or project?

I have a photographer friend and we met online in a class, but have never met in person.  My dream shoot would be to meet up with her and shoot together.  We have really hit it off and I know we would have so much fun together, but we live clear across the country from each other so hopefully someday that can become a reality.



6.  What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

I think my biggest misconception is I thought I could learn it all and master it.  I've realized that learning photography is a lifelong process and I will always be learning and pushing myself to learn new things.



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

 My advice for newbie photographers is that this isn't a race, there isn't a finish line and only compare yourself to you and your progress.  This is a journey and we all travel on our own road at our own pace.  Find your inner voice and let that shine in your photographs.  I also wish someone would have told me how expensive lenses are.  That is where I would spend my money.  I am somewhat of a lens junkie and want to try them all.




You can find more of Ann's beautiful work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts