Sunday, December 15, 2013

Meet This Week's Judge: Indira Klotzer



Our guest judge this week is the fabulously talented Indira Klotzer. Her bold, crisp colors, and intense monochromatic work are inspirational to many, as is her big heart. We gave her a tough job this week: your "lines" submissions are absolutely amazing! But while we wait for the announcement of winners, please enjoy reading about Indira, and about what drives her passion behind the lens. 


1. Tell us about yourself... I was born in Trinidad and moved to the US when I was 17 years old. I married the best man ever and we are blessed with 2 incredible, beautiful kids and a sweet puppy, an 85 lbs golden retriever.   I'm a stay at home mommy, who is NEVER home.  We love to spend our days outside at the beach, park, woods or sometimes we stay home to dig in the dirt or ride bikes :)   Besides photography, I love laughing, reading, coca cola, and dark chocolate.  I almost never sleep, I think that is partly because I secretly enjoy the quietness of the wee hours :)


2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?
I've always enjoyed photography.  I've had Polaroid cameras, film cameras, point & shoots, and a digital camera.  I told myself that I would learn how to use it, but never did until my second kid was about a yr old.  My kids are my muses and they are the ones that fuel this obsession.  But my own personal goals and dreams of being a better photographer play an equal part in driving this passion.


3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?
I finally upgraded to a Canon 5D Mark III about 3 months ago, but before that I used a Canon 60D.  I have three lens: a 50mm 1.4, an 85mm 1.8 and a 100mm (which I should use more).   I use my 50mm the most, but I'm dreaming about a wider lens.


4. What's your dream project or shoot? 
Sometimes I think it would be fun to shoot a project with a team of people, some in charge of lights, makeup, and wardrobe.  Use a location that has a lot of natural character, like the woods, mountains, cliffs, creeks, beaches and possibly a combination of all.  I would like it to be a glamour, stylized type of project.  Whatever it is, I want it to be fun for all parties involved :)


Another dream project is one that involves my family (including me).  I'd like it to be a dreamy, stylized session including the environment that we "play" in everyday.  But, since this is a "dream" I'd also like it to be lifestyle too :) 


5. What are the biggest challenges you face as a photographer?
I have a lot of challenges right now in my journey.  I'm a very new photographer and not very creative, so I have a lot of self-doubt.  It's really hard to figure out where I really shine, but does that really matter, as long as I'm having fun?  I still like to shoot any and everything and I edit based on the light and my mood, so I'm not consistent.  I like to say that PS and I are still on a first date…lol so I definitely need to learn this tool better.  The balance between being a mom and a photographer can be difficult.  Oh and the balance between sleep and editing images is the most challenging EVER! lol.


6.  If you had $500 to spend on photography...
How should you spend it?
On a lens and girly camera bag :)

How do you wish you could spend it? On a lens and a camera bag, since I actually don't have one.  Of course, I'd need a lot more than $500! 

How would you really spend it? Probably on the lens.


7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey? Practice, practice, practice….Everyday!  I shoot everyday for me and even if I do shoot for someone else, I always make sure that I get a couple of images for just Me.   I think that shooting everyday is the fastest way to learn and to understand what speaks to me and what doesn't! 


1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely post! I am a huge fan of Indy's work. She inspires me daily!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts