Friday, March 17, 2017

Feature Friday with Brittany Blake Photography!

Brittany Blake Photography was the winner of last week's 'documentary' challenge.  Read on to find out all about her style, her family, and learn about the exciting new breakout she has coming up!




1. Please tell us about yourself...

Well, I'm a NOLA native that grew up in South Florida and settled down in Central North Carolina. My husband and I met down South and moved here (close to where he grew up), finding out we were having a baby one week before! Since, we've added another kiddo to the mix, my wild and crazy one. They pretty much run the show, and I can usually be found chauffeuring them around to various activities. #momlife for sure! My oldest is going to be ten in just over a month... a week later the little dude will be five. When I am not rocking the whole mom thing -by rocking it I mean barely holding onto my sanity let's be honest- I am dreaming up interior design projects or reading a good book. 




2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

Honest. Simple. Joyful. 

Honest- because it's my mission to capture honesty in everything. Expressions, emotion, connection. I want what's real.

Simple- because I'm a total minimalist. 

Joyful- because even when the joy isn't obvious in the photograph, it's in me, or the parents. I mean, I get giddy before every newborn session... and while I do document the not so fun parts of life, most of what I capture is the funny, happy stuff. I do set out to document joy whenever I can, but I also like to capture understated joy, too. 




3. What sparked your passion for photography?

Hands down- realizing that time moves too fast. My second baby was born and with every milestone, I realized how little I remembered from the first time. I had to just... document life. Even though looking back- I was really bad at it! Ha!!




4. What's in your camera bag right now?

You mean, what camera equipment is placed on random surfaces of my house? My main gear... Nikon d750 with 35mm 2.0 attached, along with Mini Rode Mic. -Minimalist, remember?- I haven't switched lenses in weeks! But my other favorites are my 105mm 1.4, and a vintage 50mm 1.4. I also have a Fuji XT-1 that I love!




5. What is your dream shoot or project?

So, you know that saying all about how dreams come true? Well, my dream project is about to launch itself into the world. I have a Breakout with Clickin Moms releasing in April 2017! All about newborns... Newborn Stories: Documenting New Life in the Hospital, Studio, and at Home. 

If you'd like the details, you can see what it's all about here: http://www.clickinmoms.com/cmu/photographing-newborns-in-the-hospital-studio-and-at-home/

I poured my heart into this thing, and I truly cannot wait to share it with the photography world!!




6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

I thought it was easy! I was a total stereotype. I thought I would just somehow create magic, that buying the best gear would catapult me into the spotlight? I was so wrong, of course. I eventually dove into learning anything and everything I could, and to this day, I am always looking for new things to invest my time in as far as education is concerned. This misconception definitely changed... I have come to understand that this creative outlet is constantly changing, and I always have something to learn. I have so much respect for photographers who have been around for the long haul. I'm still just a newbie in comparison, but I give it my all.




7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

Get it right in camera. Honestly, I know this is something said a lot, but I wish someone had really expressed the importance of this. I spent so much time trying to "fix" things in post processing, and also spent a lot of money on post processing tools to fix it for me. None of it worked! When I started to really dedicate time to master light and white balance, my world changed. When I am mentoring new photographers who are just learning their cameras, they often ask me about editing software and shooting in RAW. I put on the brakes, and I always tell them to shoot JPEG. Yes, they'll get to a point that they are wanting to switch, and this isn't meant to be a lifelong exercise, but taking a photo and studying it as is, it's such a great way to learn about light and how your camera works. Dedicating time off the bat to this can be a huge deal for your long term goals. Editing to your vision will come later, and much easier when you are using light appropriately.


Find more of Brittany's gorgeous work here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts