Thursday, July 14, 2016

Me This Week's Judge: Daphne Laput!



This week, Daphne of Daphne Laput Phoography wants o see your worlds in motion. Take a look at her beautiful work, and read about her journey here!


1. Tell us about yourself... 

I’m a young, married mom of two located in the NY Catskills. I shoot almost solely for myself and my family, capturing our everyday moments. I also work in a daycare – my life is kids, 24/7. I drink way too much coffee and stay up watching crappy teen dramas. We are currently on the biggest Hamilton: An American Musical kick in my house.


2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

Like so many photographers the arrival of our first child sparked an interest! I wanted to be able to photograph his moments with something more than a cell phone or point and shoot. Now? I love playing with light, angles, and adding visual interest to our normal life.


3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 

I have a Kelly Moore Steph Bag which is generally full of diapers, snacks, wipes, and a very expensive DSLR just haphazardly thrown in there…

But when used for its proper purpose it holds a Canon 6D, a Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 35mm f/2.0 and a Sigma 24mm f/1.8. I have a flash, prism and remote trigger that occasionally find their way in as well but not often.

My 6D and 24mm have been used the most recently – by far. The wide angle is so beneficial with my small barnacle children and our small house. The 35mm used to be my most used but is now my least used! The 50mm gets taken out semi-occasionally for freelensing.


4. What’s your dream project or shoot?

I would love to have the opportunity to shoot a birth, or even an in home newborn session. You’re in such a blur through labor and then through those first weeks of home. I wish I had had mine honestly documented.


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer? 

Inspiration can definitely be a big one, especially since it’s just my kids I follow around (generally).


6. If you had $500 to spend on photography... How should you spend it? How do you wish you could spend it? How would you really spend it?

Oh man, shooting for myself means I can kind of spend it however I want. ;)
I probably should replace my 35mm. Though it’s rarely used now it still does get used, and it’s seemed to be on it’s last legs for like the…last 2 years (noisy, grinding focus ring) but it’s still tack sharp!
It would be so fun to spend it on something like LensBaby Comproser Pro/Edge 80 to add another effect to my photos and have something new to play with.
Realistically I would probably get an 85mm f/1.8 and a new, leather, camera bag.


 7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Rules don’t matter. Seriously I wish someone had told me when I started that limb chops are okay, underexposing is okay, composition does not have to be “right”. Not that the rules shouldn’t be known, but they most definitely can be broken. Shooting for yourself, to make yourself happy, is really all that matters.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts