Friday, July 11, 2014

Feature Friday with Photographs by Jennifer!

Jennifer Potter of Photographs by Jennifer was our challenge winner last week for the illumination theme.  Read on to get a peek into this talented artist's camera bag and more!

1.) Please tell us about yourself.
  For some reason, this is always the most difficult thing for me to put into words! I should really have more to say about myself, but basically this is it.  I'm a mother, a wife, a super cool aunt, and a photographer.  My family is absolutely the most important thing to me. It's the inspiration behind everything I do. That, I believe, is why my most important and fulfilling work is capturing my daily life in photographs. I could try and make myself sound much more interesting, but my life is very simple. Beautiful... but simple.



2.) Can you describe your style in three words? honest, raw, nostalgic
      Why those three words? I believe the truth is very important in photography. When everything else is gone our photographs are there to remind us of who we are....where we came from. I shoot to preserve what my life is really like. I photograph the things I love and the moments I want to remember. I have received messages from others telling me that my work made them remember what it was like to be a kid. That felt good.




3.) What sparked your passion for photography? That's easy.... my parents. When I was a little girl, my Momma let me draw and paint on the walls in my room. Just those walls. Those were mine. They encouraged art. My Dad is an incredible artist and photographer. I have his camera now, the same one that he used to take the very first pictures of our family. It means the world to me.



4.) What's in your camera bag right now? Yay! An easy one... hahaha! Okay, I have my Canon 6D. I love her! Yes, she's a girl. My lenses are as follows.
Canon 35mm 2.0 (I love it, but it's loud and a little slow. I am wanting the Sigma 35 1.4 soooo bad! Someday soon...)
Canon 50mm 1.4 
Canon 85mm 1.8
Lensbaby Spark (this was a gift from a fellow photographer I admire greatly! Thank you Darla.)
I just checked and there are also several lens caps, two lens hoods, a memory card, and a gum wrapper..
That's it!




5.) What is your dream project? I have this amazing inspirational friend! She is an incredible photographer and person. We have never met face to face, but she has always been there cheering me on from the very beginning!.... I think to meet her and shoot with her would be epic.



6.) What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? I don't think I really knew enough about any of it to have misconceptions. I had no idea how things were "supposed" to be. It was all new to me in the beginning. Honestly, this still kind of feels like "the beginning"! haha! 
     Have they changed, and how? I have certainly changed, and my knowledge of the industry has as well. I guess at first I didn't realize how limitless photography really is! I mean, you never stop learning. You never reach a point to where you know it ALL..... That's incredible!



7.) What advice would you give to newbie photographers? Since I still feel like a newbie most days, I will give you the advice I give myself every day. Be YOU. Tell your truths with your photography. Honesty is originality, and no one else in the world can tell your story but you. 
     What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning? Your everyday is beautiful. You don't have to be a millionaire or travel to some exotic place to do great work. The art is inside you... be inspired by your own life.  Also, don't worry about what everyone else is doing. This is not a competition. It is a process... a journey that gets better all the time. Enjoy yours. <3

Find more of Jennifer's beautiful work here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts