Friday, July 18, 2014

Feature Friday with Jess Croshaw Photography

 Jess Croshaw was our winner this past week for the theme challenge of
{larger than life}. 
In this post you will get to know her a little better and take a peek into her camera bag 
as well as learn what motivates her to do what she does so very well! 


~





Tell us about yourself...
My name is Jess and I am tall.  6’2” to be exact.  Don’t worry. 
 I played college basketball so my height went to good use. 
 And I don’t have to bring a step stool to my sessions, either.  ☺  
We have four kids that call me momma and they are my joy in life.  
We recently relocated from cold Minnesota to hot California.  
If I make it through this summer without melting, things will be a.o.k.



~~~

 Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words? 
Real, honest, emotion.  The first thing I tell my clients when I meet them is that I don’t pose well.  I am not a poser.  ☺  If I can get 2-3 shots with everyone looking at the camera, that’s great.  But the rest will be real.  Running through a field.  Giving hugs and kisses.  I try to pull emotion out of real, honest interactions between family members.  



~~~

What sparked your passion for photography? 
Miserable family photo sessions of my own family!  Like 3-4 years in a row!  It was terrible.  I had to take matters into my own hands at that point.  I was familiar with the basics thanks to a few college photography courses I took.  I hit the ground running and haven’t looked back yet!



~~~

What's in your camera bag right now? 
I shoot with 2 original Canon 5D’s.  Old school, I know.  But I can’t give them up.  It’s like throwing away your favorite pair of jeans.  I shoot 75% of the time with my 35mm 1.4 lens and I play around with the following the rest of the time:
50mm 1.4 prime lens
70-300mm zoom lens
15mm fisheye lens
17-40mm wide angle zoom lens
Lastolite trigrip reflector
Speedlight 430EXII flash, just in case




~~~

What is your dream shoot or project? 
My dream shoot would take place anywhere a passport would be required.  




~~~

 What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how? 
I thought photography was tricky at first.  I honestly made it way too complicated.  
Get your lighting figured out, get a good editing workflow and do your own thing.  
There is an almost overwhelming amount of talent out there that can be inspiring yet detrimental. 
 Be inspired by others and be inspiring yourself.  




~~~


What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

I wish someone would have told me how expensive lenses are.  The lenses you really want to buy.  ☺  Some advice:  don’t sell yourself short.  Everyone starts somewhere. 
 Don’t be afraid to try new things. 
 Don’t be afraid to practice lighting/etc. with stuffed animals in your house.  We all have done it.  Don’t be too critical on yourself.  This is my biggest enemy.
 Do your best and the rest will fall into place! 






~~~



To see more fabulous work from Jess, visit her here....


FACEBOOK | WEBSITE |  GOOGLE+ | PINTEREST 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts