Friday, October 7, 2016

Feature Friday with My Artistic Journey!

Kristey of My Artistic Journey was the winner of last week's 'the quiet moments' challenge, and has shared a peek into her style and her journey!




1. Please tell us about yourself...

 A little about me. . . let’s see here. . . My name is Kristey and I live in Idaho with my adorable little family. I am a wife, a mother, a sister and a friend who is fortunate enough to get to be a SAHM to my tiny people. I am a little bit odd, a little bit of a recluse, and very passionate about creating art that not only makes my heart smile but touches my emotional core. 



2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

This question always stumps me, because I feel like I grow and change so much that these words represent my mood at the moment far more than representing my style as a whole. I truly respect artists that have such a firm grip on who they are and can lock down this answer in no time flat, but I am definitely not one of them. SO like any well-rounded artistic soul with an amazing group of artistic friends would do, I  asked my photography group for help on this one. If anyone knows me, it is this group of brilliant artists. My initial response was to go with “odd, scattered and rambely” but with their help we came up with:
* “ Unbelievably sexy beast” - Sara Carter a.k.a. brilliant macro/documentary photographer who has the ability to defuse any situation with laughter.
* “Positive, loving, creative” - Susan Garcia a.k.a. one of the sweetest kindest souls in the world mixed with a perfect balance of sass and who is also a mean machine with her cell phoneography.
* “Dedicated (a nice way of saying you're so crazy about photography that you'll lie down on the lawn in front of your neighbor’s house to photograph a weed), emotive (you create imagery with lots of feeling), creative (because you're crazy talented and awesome at thinking outside the box)” - Shelley Reis from My Captured Life a.k.a. one of the most brilliant photographers I know. If you don’t know her work, you really really should. AMAZING!!
 (I’m telling you, these guys know me better than I know myself somedays. Everyone should be lucky enough to have such an outstanding group of friends.)



3. What sparked your passion for photography?

I think photography has always been a passion for me. As far back as I can remember, it has been something I loved and worked towards. My true passion was ignited this past year without a doubt though. In January, I decided to start completely anew on My Artistic Journey. I finally decided it was time I started shooting and creating for myself. I broke every rule I could think of until I found what I felt matched what my soul was trying to say through my art and I ran with it. . . not for perfection, but for the sheer joy of doing what I love. I have never been happier and more content with my craft than I am right now. I love the knowledge, growth, and the motivation it takes to push the boundaries and just do what feels right, not for anyone else but just for myself. I am shocked at how much I learn and grow on a daily basis due to the freedom I have allowed myself just to be me and create. 




4. What's in your camera bag right now?

I am almost embarrassed to answer this question, because the sheer amount of equipment I lug around with me is nearly laughable. I actually pack around 2 camera bags. One is a shoulder bag, and it houses my Canon 6D, which currently has my 35mm Art attached, because it has been a “the kids are sick and we are shooting inside” kind of week. I also keep my Lensbaby Composure Pro II that currently has my Twist 60 attached and my Helios 40-2 85mm in this bag because they are my most used lenses (at this moment). In my second bag (my Ketti that doubles as a camera bag and purse), I keep my Lensbaby Edge 50, Sweet 35, Fisheye, Scout and macro converters, Canon 100mm Macro, Helios 44-2, and 40mm pancake along with extra batteries, memory cards, macro filters, copper pipes, prism, cleaning cloth, grey card, remote, and tripod hotshoe. I never know what I might be shooting or in what situation so I want to make sure I keep my options open. “You only regret the shots you don't take. . .” and I don’t want to feel like I am not prepared. I may have a wee problem in this department.




5. What is your dream shoot or project?

I don’t know if it really counts as a “dream shoot or project,” but I would LOVE to travel around the world and meet all the amazing friends I have made along my photography journey and maybe just spend a day seeing the world through their eyes. I have so many friends who are brilliant artists that specialize in everything from underwater shoots to newborns, and to get to shoot alongside them and gain insight into their creative process would be a true dream come true.



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

I am going to be completely honest on this one. I feel like I struggled for so many years in this stale place full of self-doubt brought on by so many misconceptions that I now look back on and just ask myself WHY it took me so long to figure out.

Misconception #1 - Shooting in Auto is working just fine for me. . . um no, it isn’t. Ya, maybe you get lucky from time to time, but you aren’t CREATING your work, you are just TAKING it and hoping for the best. Learn your craft, learn your equipment. #makeitdonttakeit

Misconception #2 - Photography is a competition full of secrets and, if you divulge your mysterious formula for success, you are giving a piece of yourself away and everyone and their neighbor will be doing what you are doing. This couldn’t be further from the truth. There is no super secret. You won’t be any less by sharing what you know, and this is NOT a competition!! You are uniquely you, and NOBODY can change that or replicate it. Inspiration is free, kindness is contagious and support is power.

Misconception #3 - I am a small person living in a small town in Idaho and there is no way I will ever be good enough. I struggled with this one for a LONG time. I idolized and envied these AMAZING artists that could create such jaw dropping work that people knew who they were just by looking at this art. I wished I could be them and do what they were doing and felt so trapped in my surroundings, that I let this define me. This is so far from the truth. Yes, I am a small town girl living in a tiny town in Idaho but I am not SMALL. I have a voice and am confident in my ability to create from my heart. Will I ever been incredibly famous and admired? Not likely, but you never know. ;) I do know that so long as I keep growing and learning, that the sky isn’t even close to the limit.

Misconception #4 (which ties directly into #3 and #4) - Successful people are scary. There is no way they would ever talk to me, they must know the secret to life and success, and I have no chance of cracking that code. I distinctly remember the very first conversation I had with a photographer that I had admired for years and thought was WAY too awesomely amazing to talk to little old me. I was so nervous and felt like I was ignorant about anything she might say to me and guess what. . . it turns out that she was the kindest, most generous, and supportive person I have ever met. These over the moon outstanding photographers were all just like you once upon a time. Struggling to find their voice and learn their craft, unsure of where to start and how to reach their goals. They are down-to-earth, brilliant people with a wealth of knowledge at their fingertips, and so many of them are more than willing to share this knowledge. Community is such a valuable asset to growth. Find some people that share your passion and motivate one another. Reach out to other artists. I bet you 9 times out of 10, you will be amazed at how open and warm they will receive you.

Misconception #5 - I have to be “perfect” to be good. This one still makes me giggle when I think back on it. Rules are there for a reason. They are important! Learn them, master them, then break the heck out of them until you feel like you are creating your own work and not just following the cookie cutter perfection of what you think photography “should” be. Embrace your imperfections and love the you you are today.



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

If I could give one piece of advice to any new photographer out, it would be to read the misconceptions above and not fall victim or lose yourself in them. Be gentle to yourself. Everyone learns at their own pace, and nobody becomes a super star from the first compression of the shutter. Be kind to others, because everyone is on their own journey, and be humble!!



Find more of Kristey's work here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts