Friday, June 3, 2016

Feature Friday with Jill Edwards Photography!

Jill Edwards of Jill Edwards Photography was the winner of last week's sun flare challenge! Read on to find out all about her style, her gear, and her advice for new photographers...





1.My name is Jill Edwards. Two handsome smart teenaged boys or as I like to lovingly refer to them as The Knuckleheads call me mom. Wife to my MacGyver-ish engineer husband together for 29 years, and dog-mother to one neurotic golden doodle named LuLu. I specialize in photographing graduating seniors but I have a passion for shooting whatever makes me happy.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hershey Kisses, and that is not an exaggeration. I live in Southern California, but my summers are spent in Northern Michigan, in peace and quiet in America’s Most Beautiful Place. It’s true…Google it!


2.My style in three words:
Perfectly imperfect: (I know, that’s more than one) Because most of my photography is nowhere near perfect…but that inspires me to continue to learn
Colorful: I find the images that I take are usually full of color. I rarely do black and white
Vintage: I love to photograph old stuff…mid-century, old furniture, buildings you name it, or create a vintage feel to some of my senior shoots.



3.What sparked my passion
I try to follow the Ferris Bueller quote, you know the one, “Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around, you might miss it.” It’s my favorite quote and one I take to heart. My husband gave me a Nikon D40 years ago and the love affair started. But sigh, I didn’t get the photography bug until after my two crazy boys were pretty grown, which now bums me out. Teen-aged boys don’t like to cuddle up in blankies, they don’t take baths in the sink, and most times don’t dress up in super hero capes to eat breakfast. So my photography evolved out of the things I see along the way as I looked around. I try to capture just the everyday things I encounter, the things that make me smile, things that touch my heart and sometimes things that make me laugh out loud. But I sure wish I would have started back when those two sweet little toe-headed boys were little and smelled good and ran around in superhero capes! So until I have grandchildren, I am happy photographing the world around me, and in the spring, graduates.


4.My Indigo Two Sues bag is filled with my Nikon D750, a Nikon 50mm f1.4 and my go to for portraits Nikon 85mm f1.8. and I always like to travel with my Nikon 24-70mm f2.8. You will also find, gum, lip gloss, and hand wipes, confetti, bobby pins and of course chocolate! All those come in handy when photographing teenaged girls.



5. Dream shoot…that’s easy…A George Clooney shoot! No, seriously….seriously.


6.I knew I loved photography, but what I didn’t know and learned as I went along my journey, was that once you take your hobby and turn it into a profession, it’s no longer a hobby. I have learned that some days shooting may be more work, or frustrating, handling the business side than it is fun. That being said, I am truly grateful I can call my hobby my job and have learned to accept both the fun and not so fun.



7 I wish I would have listened when people told me not to compare my work with others. I know you read it everywhere, but I really wish I would have listened. I have learned now, not to compare my work. If I like it, that’s all that matters. Besides I know someone else will like it, because my mom is my biggest fan…she loves all my work! Thanks mom! That same thing would also be my advice to newbies. Love your work. It’s your gift to share with others. It’s art and it’s relative to what you like…there’s no right or wrong, just beauty.  Be proud of the work you do and enjoy it!  If you are doing your BEST you ARE a Success!


Find more of Jill's beautiful work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts