Thursday, January 7, 2016

Meet This Week's Judge: Jessica Diedrich


This week, we have Jessica of Yeah, She Snaps! Photography guest judging, and she wants to see your take on "The Elements". Check out her beautiful work, and read about what inspires here here! 



Tell us about yourself:

I've been married for 16 years (today!) to the love of my life.   I know, now you're totally grossed out, but it's true!  We have five children ranging from 15 to 2 and our life is crazy, chaotic, messy, beautiful, and BUSY!    Things that keep me going besides photography (not necessarily in any order, haha)  Coffee (ok, that's probably #1), the beach, the awesome friends and family we have both here in Nashville and all over the place, dogs, dog rescue, Sephora (the addiction is real, y'all), and anything Alice in Wonderland.


 What ignited your passion for photography and what fuels it now?


I started out in the paper crafting industry several years ago.  I think my love of scrapbooking combined with wanting to document memories for my family gave me the itch long before I even realized I had it!  Now, it's the personal journey along with documenting those memories.  I don't compare myself to anyone but myself a month...year...even week ago sometimes.  I love being on my game and sharing what I've learned with others.





What's in your camera bag right now?  What do you use the most?  The least?

I shoot on a Nikon D610 and I'm incredibly happy with it.  My Sigma 35 1.4 art rarely comes off the body these days, although you know what?  I'still a HUGE fan of my Nifty Fifty (Nikon 1.8).   I also like to play with a Rokinon 85mm 1.4.  The lens is...wait for it... MANUAL focus, haha!   It was cheap and it's actually a really great piece of glass!   The lens I use the least is probably my Nikon 10.5 fish.  I wish I had more opportunities to play with it, but I can't seem to part with it even though I've considered selling a time or two.


What's your dream project or shoot?

Oh goodness.  I think right now, I'd love to just have a balmy, windy week on the beach with color-filled sunsets and no where to be but there.  To be able to capture things at a leisurely pace but be able to spend that time really taking it all in, playing with light, people, birds, etc.   I am blessed to get to offer beach shoots once a year, and do at least 6-10 shoots during that time period, but it's always so rushed and crazy.  I would love to be able to just chill and shoot things as they happen.   I love when things happen organically and candidly.   The best!




What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

Honestly, it's time.  The balance of time.  There are many evenings I start work at 8pm and don't set it down until 2 am.  My workflow can be my best friend or biggest enemy, but I am a perfectionist and that's probably more than likely part of the problem here ; )  





If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?!    Marketing materials.  I haven't made time to sit down and print business cards for over a year!  Bad girl. 


How do you wish you could spend it?!  I'd put it toward the 70-200 f/2.8.  That's next on my 'list' ;)


How would you really spend it?!  It probably depends whether or not there is a Sephora in a 10 mile radius from wherever I am :D 




Is there any one  thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Well, YES.  And it's something that someone DID tell me.  If you are in this for a business, do NOT set your sights or pricing too low in the beginning.  I find that those who know the value of their work are taken much more seriously than those who are trying to start out low and work their way up.  It's so much harder.  With every increase I know my clients are probably wondering why, but those who value it the most are absolutely on board with whatever I decide.  There will never be a replacement for our memories or talents.    Last but not least, don't compete with anyone but your last and most updated version of YOU.   There are so many talented people to learn and grow with in this industry, and sometimes it's hard when we feel we aren't at the same 'level' or 'pace', but really, it's about OUR journey and our art.   I think the happiest, most successful artists I know have that at the  forefront of their creative minds and I love being a part of their world.  <3





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts