Friday, March 6, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Joni Burtt!



This week, we have Joni of Joni Burtt Photography examining the 'Mundane, but beautiful'. Enjoy her photos, and thoughts on what inspires her. thank you, Joni, for joining us this week! 






1. Tell us about yourself...
I am a stay-at-home mom to my adorable children, Charles (7) and Rosemary (3) and the dog Joey (going on 11!) and they are my favourite subjects to photograph.  I've been married to my husband, David, a paramedic, for ten years.  Aside from photography, I love reading, cooking, hiking, fishing, and long afternoon naps.  We live on the east coast of Canada in rural New Brunswick.



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now? 


 I bought my first DSLR in 2010 simply because I needed a new camera and had some extra money.  I didn't know a thing about photography, but once I started taking photos, I was hooked.  I bought some manual lenses and started playing with them as well, and began learning everything I could.  It was still a steep learning curve for me, and it's only been in the last couple of years that I feel like I've found my style.  I still love everything about it - the way emotion can be captured in a single shot, the way a photograph can say so much, show so much.  I love the lines, the light and shadows.  I am absolutely in love with lifestyle photography and it's what I do 90% of the time.  Right now, it is also fuelled by the amazing photography community I have come to be a part of.  It's so awesome to "know" so many wonderful photographers and to be inspired daily by them.


3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 

I have a Nikon D600, a Sigma 35mm ART, a 50mm 1.4, a 90mm macro, a Lensbaby Edge80, and a 24-70.  My 50mm is the one I've used the most over the years, and I use it for freelensing as well.  It's a beautiful lens.  I love the 35mm and the 24-70 for indoor lifestyle shots.  I probably use the 90mm the least, though mostly because I tend to forget I have it!



4. What's your dream project or shoot? 

 I would love to do more street photography, but it's hard when you live so far in the sticks. ;)  I also hope to someday photograph a birth, and an entire day in the life of a family.





5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer? 

 I'm not sure I have any major challenges.  Right now I do very occasional client shoots, but most of my photography is hobbyist in nature and I absolutely love that.  As a result, I feel like I have very little pressure.  Looking outside right now, I suppose one of my biggest challenges is our harsh winters - this one has been record-breaking and I am tired of taking photos inside my small house!



 6. If you had $500 to spend on photography... How should you spend it? How do you wish you could spend it? How would you really spend it? 

 I SHOULD probably spend it on getting my camera serviced and cleaned.  I WISH I could put it toward a 70-200 lens.  I'd probably actually by another Lensbaby optic.  ;)




 7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?


 You don't have to do everything.  At first I said yes to every job, tried every single type of photography, and was overwhelmed by it all.  Finding my niche and learning to say "this is not my strength, but THIS is" has made my life much better.  Also, you'll go through ups and downs, plateaus and creative slumps, and really wonderful highs.  Everyone does, even the best of the best.  It's normal. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts