Thursday, September 18, 2014

Meet This Week's Judge: Sonya Adcock


This week's judge is Sonya of Sonya Adcock Photography, Her work explores a variety of artistic edits and dreamy blur. Please take a few moments to read about her here, and check out the links to additional work!

Website / Facebook / 500px / Flickr



1. Tell us about yourself...

I am a mother of four girls ages 10, 9, 5, and 3. I am happily married to my husband, who pastors our local church. And, together, we busily homeschool our brood.



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

As with many child photographers, my passion for photography was ignited by snapping pictures of my own little ones. Being a young family, when my husband was going through seminary, money was tight. We had to make do with what we had. I spent several years learning to see light in such a way that my cheap "point and shoot" would take a decent photo.  It was a good education. Later, when we were able to afford a "fancier" camera, I hungrily devoured books and articles on photography, striving to learn all I could about exposure,composition, and photo editing.
For me, learning more and becoming a better photographer is really what encourages me each day. I love to learn! And when I see my progression year by year, I'm excited for the future!



3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

As a portrait photographer, I own a Nikon d200; and my Nikkor 105mm f/2 dc is on it most the time. I also have my faithful "nifty fifty" (Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D), and I was recently given a Vivtar 28mm f/2.8 that I am eager to experiment with!



4. What's your dream project or shoot?

I'm not quite sure how to answer this. My "dream shoot" is more of a "dream situation". I live in small town in Pennsylvania. Ideally, I would love to move out of town, buy a farmette with an old red barn, and have an outdoor portrait studio on my property.



5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

That's an easy question, TIME! I find I never have enough time to do all that I want to with my small business.



6.  If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?
Umm...a cleaning service for my house? My interest in photography definitely takes time away from house cleaning!
How do you wish you could spend it?
I wish camera gear wasn't so expensive, so that $500 would go further!
How would you really spend it?
I would save it for a new camera body. I have my eyes set on a Nikon D3s...One day! Here's to hoping!



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?


"Patience"...I've learned along the way that patience with myself is really an important key to success. Ancipating failure and recognizing that each photo/photo session doesn't have to be a "masterpiece" is such an integral part of growing as a photographer. I realize now that only when I see my faults and mistakes can I correct and improve them.



Thank you so much for hanging with us this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts