Friday, May 6, 2016

Feature Friday with Wendy Alweyn Photography!

Wendy Alweyn of Wendy Alweyn Photography was the winner of our 'intuition and luck' challenge with this image:



Read on to find out all about her and see more of her beautiful work!



1. Please tell us about yourself...
Hi, my name is Wendy Alweyn.  I live in Melbourne, Australia with my husband and  3 gorgeous daughters, a 10 year old and twins who are 8 years old.  I work full time in finance / management, so photography is my passion and outlet.




2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
Soulful, Emotive and Movement.  It took me a long time to really feel like my images reflected those words.  I have also always wanted to express a kind of “stillness” in my images, since I feel my life seem is so chaotic. 



3. What sparked your passion for photography?
Photography has always interested me, since as long as I can remember.  My great grandfather was a photographer.  When my grandmother got really sick, I used to sit on her bed and look at old photos of her through her life.  Those images told me a lot about what she did, and it gave me a glimpse of the time in which she had lived; of who she was.  I want my girls to look at their photos and reminisce about life and to remember their childhood fondly.



4. What's in your camera bag right now?
My Canon 5D MkIII.  I have a lot of lenses, although the lens that rarely comes off my camera at the moment is the Lensbaby Velvet 56.  I also love the Lensbaby Edge 80, 50mm f/1.2 and 28mm f/1.6.



5. What is your dream shoot or project?
All three of my girls in a photo together!  I never seem to convince them to cooperate at the same time.  My dream project would be to photograph women in my community, doing what they love, being who they are.  A celebration of the everyday woman.




6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
I remember years ago looking at photos and thinking, if only I knew what settings the photographer had used, I could take a good photo! Now I realise how irrelevant that is, it is not about the equipment or the settings, it is about the vision and composition.  Photography is a form of art, if you feel connection to the image and it is satisfying your creativity, then the image is good, irrespective of what anyone thinks.




7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
Learning in photography is never ending.  It does not matter how fast you progress, as long as you want to keep learning and improving.  The biggest aha moment for me was when I realised I needed to stop comparing myself to others (I could admire others); and my only competitor was me yesterday.



Find more of Wendy's gorgeous work here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts