Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Meet This Week's Judge: Kimberly Walla


This week, Kimberly of Kimberly Walla Photography would like to see the ordinary moments which you have captured in an extraordinary way. 



1. Tell us about yourself...

I was born and raised in Oklahoma. I married my high school sweetheart fourteen years ago and we have two beautiful children ages 7 and 4. In my spare time I enjoy traveling, snowboarding, camping, gardening and of course anything photography. My personal philosophy is to enjoy life and not take anything too seriously. Professionally I photograph newborns and families. Of course I photograph my kiddos any change I get!  


2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

My passion ignites when shooting images that capture the raw natural personality of my subject. Images of my kids and family just doing what they do on a daily basis whether it be kicking a ball or getting ready for school. We all know how quickly time flies and that children grow at an incredible rate. I was looking at an image taken 3 years ago of my son in an Incredible Hulk costume helping my mom bake a pie. I would have never remembered that moment without that image. As I get older and my memory fades I will have these precious images I created of my children that will invoke and bring back those moments. So, I think of photography as a treasure that will be enjoyed for generations to come. That is what fuels me and keeps me going. 


 3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

The Nikon D800 is my main body and the D700 is my backup. I have a 14-24 2.8, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 105 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and a Lensbaby Composer Pro. Lately, my favorite lenses are the 35mm and 85mm. My least used lens is my Lensbaby.


4. What’s your dream project or shoot?

My dream project would be to follow a family around for an entire day in order to tell their story whether it be an ordinary day or special day. That would be a little slice of heaven for me. No posing, just natural moments! 

5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

My biggest challenge is balancing my family and career. I take a limited amount of sessions per month because I have found that works best for me and my family.  Photography is a wonderful career for moms because of the flexible schedule.  Very seldom to I have to miss my kid’s activities and I always edit while they are at school. 


6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...
How should you spend it? I should spend it on branding. 

How do you wish you could spend it? On an ice light or a fisheye. 

How would you really spend it? A new camera bag, mine is worn out and not large enough to take all of my equipment in one bag. 


7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?


To enjoy the ride and break the rules once you know them in order to find your voice. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts