Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Meet This Week's Judge: Meg Loeks



This week, as we enter Spring, Meg of Meg Loeks Photography wants to see how you "grow"! Read about her and her beautiful work here!



1. Tell us about yourself...

 Born and raised in Michigan. I grew up in a rural area just outside a small farming town. I met my husband in college about 12 years ago. We have been married for almost 7 years now and have 3 little boys: Leo – Age 4, Woody – Age 2, Archie – 9 months. We purchased an old farmhouse last year and have been renovating it since. I love the character of the home, and the meadows and woods surrounding us. There’s lot of space and privacy which is what my husband and I both grew up having. In my spare time I love to bake, read, snowboard, hike, camp, travel and simply just spend time outdoors with my family.


2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

I became interested in photography when I was little. My dad originally inspired me. We used to go out on walks together and photograph nature. My first camera was a Pentax which I still have today. For as long as I can remember I was always inspired by nature. My parents had a subscription to National Geographic. I would look forward (and still do) to flipping through the magazine and studying the images every month. My passion for photography then as it is today is simply the creative outlet it provides, but more importantly today the desire to capture my children. They are my greatest inspiration.


3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

Canon 5d Mark ii, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 105mm 2.8. My main camera body, Canon 6d, is being repaired after the shutter broke. I use my Sigma Art 35mm mainly indoors and Sigma 85mm mainly outdoors. 


4. What's your dream project or shoot?

My dream shoot would be to bring my family to Ireland and capture my boys playing on the beach. 


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

Balancing work, family time and me time. Since I work from home I feel it's easy to get constantly caught up in work, and I've been trying to find a better balance and system. I've been running a photography business for a little over a year now and have learned so much.


6.  If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it? I should spend the money on a new backdrop stand for my newborn sessions as well as an ice light. 

How do you wish you could spend it? I wish $500 would actually buy me a Lensbaby Velvet 56, Ice Light, Canon 135mm f/2L and a photography retreat in the mountains.

How would you really spend it? I would buy a Lensbaby Velvet 56 because I've wanted a Lensbaby for awhile but put other more practical lenses ahead of it. 


7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

I wish someone would have told me that for many photographers it can take awhile to find your style, that it doesn't happen overnight and that it's constantly evolving. I also wish someone would have told me stay away from comparing my work to others.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts