Friday, August 28, 2015

Feature Friday with Little Farm Photography!

The talented Danielle Awwad of Little Farm Photography is the winner of last week's 'extraordinary light' challenge.  Read on to find out how she describes her style, and how she began her journey in photography!




1. Please tell us about yourself…
I am a wife to an amazing man and mother to three beautiful children ages three, 21 months and two months. My family is everything to me. Seriously they are my world! We live on a 91-acre hay farm that sits right outside of our small town in Michigan. We love country living and all it has to offer. My camera goes everywhere with me.  I love capturing our farm life and after months of doing so Little Farm Photography, LLC was born. I do not take clients but love being able to share my art with the photography community.


2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

Love, Life and Emotion

I feel that in every image you look at of mine you will feel either love, life, or an emotion. I strive to capture my family with a mix of portraits and lifestyle work.




3. What sparked your passion for photography?

My photography journey began after the birth of my first daughter. When she was about three months old I knew I wanted to learn how to take better images of her. I started shooting in manual from the beginning and learned a little along the way. When my daughter was about 12 months I put my camera down for about 6 months once we learned of my son's complex heart issues. It was a time I lacked inspiration and had no desire to use my camera or be involved in any of my other hobbies for that matter.  During those months I took snap shots and that's about it. The moment my son was born something came over me. I had a big desire to learn everything I could about photography so I could preserve the memory of our family. I love capturing our life one photograph at a time.



4. What's in your camera bag right now?

Canon 5D Markiii, 35mm, 70-200mm, 85mm, 100mm Macro



5. What is your dream shoot or project?

My dream shoot would be to one day capture images of all my children together. We hope to have more children. 

 My dream project is currently in the works and hope to be able to share more about it soon. 










6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

I always believed that in order to be called a photographer you needed to be in business. I didn’t think people would ever take your work seriously without that label.  I wanted to feel like I was an actual photographer and not a mom with just a camera. My feelings have completely changed. I don’t think you need to be in business to be considered a photographer or an amazing one at that. I have so many photographers who I admire that do not take clients. I took clients for about three weeks last summer and just realized it is not for me and that is okay. It does not make me any less of an artist. 




7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

I would tell a newbie to shoot in manual everyday, several times a day. This will help you learn so much about yourself as a photographer as well as developing your skill. 
Learn your camera inside and out. Understand that a better camera does not make you a better photographer! Some of my favorite images came from my starter camera. It is important to rock what you have and when you are starting to feel your limits then think about upgrading. 
I would also suggest starting a 365 day project. I am currently completing my second 365 and honestly don’t think I will ever stop. I have grown leaps and bounds over the last two years! 
Develop yourself as an artist and don’t compare your work with others. We are all on a different journey and different things speak to us. For example I love looking at very moody black and white images. I think that they are beautiful but it is not my style. It does not fit with my vision of what I want to capture. I appreciate those style of images but it doesn’t mean I need to capture images like that. 



Find more of Danielle's beautiful work here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts