Friday, August 14, 2015

Feature Friday with Shawna Munsey Photography!

The talented Shawna Munsey of Shawna Munsey Photography was the winner of last week's 'face the day challenge' and she has graciously given us a peek into her camera bag, as well as shared her words of wisdom for new photographers.





1. Please tell us about yourself...
I am a portrait and lifestyle natural light photographer, specializing in capturing emotion and highlighting military families from the shores of the East Coast to the waves of the Hawaiian islands I now call home. A lover of the beach and the sea, I’m a dreamer that believes life is pretty magical. I sink my toes in the sand and I sink my all into photography with a distinct eye for capturing light and love. Before I was taking photos, I was teaching and earned my Masters at University of Oregon. As a military wife and a homeschooling mother of two, I look forward to finding every day places and moments that deserve to be captured and remembered.



2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

authentic, emotional, fresh

I like to capture the real emotion in a moment in a way that stirs feelings in the viewer. Its all about connection, me with the subjects, the subjects with each other, the viewer to the photograph. That connection can only happen if the photograph is genuine.






3. What sparked your passion for photography?

The realization of how beautifully fleeting life is. Geographic separations from the people I love, the birth of my babies, the need to express my feelings, all led to the desire to encapsulate and somehow hold onto those important moments and emotions. And aren’t they all important?





4. What's in your camera bag right now?

Nikon D800, Sigma Art 35, Nikon 70 – 200, hair ties, sunscreen, bug spray. 




5. What is your dream shoot or project?

My impossible dream shoot is to travel back in time and photograph my parents and grandparents when they were young. I love shooting children because they are the most authentic in front of the camera. I’d love to see who my loved ones were as children, before life taught them to be more guarded.




6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
I had the very common misconception, that the right gear was the most important aspect of becoming a better photographer. Still fairly new in my photography journey, I’ve learned to love and believe this quote by Julius Schulman - “The camera is the least important element in photography.” The way any one person views the world is different from any other. Sharing the emotion and light I see through my unique view is what makes me become a better photographer.



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
 
As with anything in life, follow your intuition. Listen to that little voice inside, it is usually right. I am very grateful to have found a very supportive group of photographers here on Oahu to learn from and be inspired by. I take all of their knowledge and advice to heart, but don’t stray from my voice. Believe in your unique way of seeing the world, that is what makes you and your photographs special.



Find more of Shawna's beautiful work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts