Saturday, April 23, 2016

Meet This Week's Judge: Julie Mak!

This week, Julie of Julie Mak Photography wants to see the decisive moments in your world. She has shared some of her fabulous images, and words about her journey. Enjoy! 



1. Tell us about yourself...

I am a lifestyle photographer living in NYC with my husband, two sons (ages 7.5 and almost 10), a dog and a sick Betta fish. I majored in International Relations in college and also have an MBA. My professional background is in marketing, consumer insights and branding, all of which have an influence on my approach to visual storytelling.



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

I remember getting my first camera at a fairly young age, and at risk of dating myself, remember the excitement of receiving my photos in the mail after sending my film away to be developed. I had a strong desire to document what was happening around me. But it wasn’t until after the birth of my boys that I learned more about the artistry of photography and inserting more of myself and my voice into the process. I don’t think I realized starting out how much I would learn about myself in this process. Photography is now a much-needed creative outlet for me.


3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

I mainly shoot with a Nikon D600 but recently acquired a Nikon F100 and have begun shooting film again. I’m still trying to figure out a balance between the two. Of all my lenses, I tend to gravitate toward my 24mm or 24-70mm the most since I like including the environment in the frame. I love my 70-200mm but rarely have the room to use it (or the arm strength!). What I use the least is my flash, I’m not sure why I keep carrying it around in my bag!


4. What’s your dream project or shoot?

This is completely random, but I would love to go on a set of a movie, theater or TV set and document behind the scenes. Or be able to shoot on-location with Annie Leibowitz! A girl can dream, right? But more realistically, I am trying to come up with a project to document an aspect of my parents’ experience immigrating to the US. I feel as if there are many important stories in that collective experience that I would like to capture before they are gone forever.


5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

Getting myself out of creative ruts – I don’t do much client work so I need to find ways to keep things new and fresh for myself in my day-to-day life. Continuing to try new things while staying true to myself and my style. Figuring out other subjects that I feel passionate about now that my boys are getting older and not as cooperative!


6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?! Toward a new computer. I am long overdue for an upgrade!
How do you wish you could spend it?! Going on a photography workshop/retreat with some girlfriends at an exotic locale with an amazing guest speaker or two!
How would you really spend it?! Probably renting a Fuji X-T1 or XT100, not that I need another camera, but after coming back from vacation where I lugged my DSLR around, I’m dying to try something lighter!


7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Look within, not at others. Your journey is your own, and while you want to constantly be improving, don’t forget to feel good about where you are. That goes for equipment as well – while I absolutely agree with investing in quality gear, just because something works for someone else doesn’t mean it is right for you. There is no “best” camera or lens – understand how you want to shoot and go from there.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts