Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Sharon Covert!


Sharon, of Sharon Covert Photography, has asked you to share your "love letters" this week. She is no stranger to evocative photography, as her deep monochromatic tones can attest to. Enjoy her phtos and read about her here!




1. Tell us about yourself...

I’m Sharon Covert, A Photographer, Artist, Musician and mother of two. My art is very deep and personal to me. I find myself drawn to flaws in photography such as blur and grain. Through the use of deep shadows and light in my black and white images I aim to convey a variety of emotions. Many of my images have a message within them. My hope is that the viewer can connect to each image emotionally. Perhaps they will be reminded of something deep within themselves. I believe we all have something we keep in waiting to be released. This is my release.



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

I've always been a picture taker documenting my world, thanks to my father sharing his passion for photography, and documenting my childhood. It wasn't until bringing my daughter home from Vietnam 8 years ago that I realized I wanted it to be more than that. I had no idea 8 years ago it would have developed into what I do now. I'm fueled by passion to create art and express myself. I have so many feelings, and this has been the best way for me to express them all. I found myself through this art.



3. What’s in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

I should be embarrassed at how many camera bags I own. I always carry my 5D Mark III, 35L, 70-200L, and Lensbaby Velvet 56. Many times I bring more than one bag with me though. I have been working with film more over the last year, and often will have my Mamiya 645 medium format camera with me and a couple of Polaroids as well. I have quite the growing collection of film cameras. I'm hoping to spend some time this winter getting to know them better.



4. What’s your dream project or shoot?

This past summer I worked with shooting under water some. It's something I'd really like to explore more, but at the same time I have a big fear of water. I'd also like to explore my self portraits more, but with film. 



5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

I struggle with getting myself out there on social media to be honest. I'm a very quiet person, and it's difficult for me to constantly expose myself in hopes of my art being seen. 


6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it?
How do you wish you could spend it?
How would you really spend it?
I think my "should", "wish", and "reality" would all be the same at this point. I would want to invest it into having more images printed and framed for exhibits. It can become very expensive preparing images for galleries. It's something I didn't realize before I got into it. 



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

I'm not so sure there is anything that could have been said to get me to where I am now faster. It's a learning process.I feel like I have gone through it much slower than most, but I honestly think I had to go through everything exactly how it went to be here right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts