Friday, September 11, 2015

Feature Friday with Livy B Photography!

We're thrilled to learn more about the talented pair behind Livy B Photography, the winners of our last week's 'hope' challenge!




1. Please tell us about yourself
We are Jackie and Khrystal - a mother daughter duo. When we aren’t working we are still spending all of our free time together, best friends would be an understatement. We are more like ONE person so I won’t have to split these up too much.

Jackie- Coffee obsessed, animal lover, I'm a mom and mamaw and wife to a man who completely sweeps me off of my feet every day. I was born in the south and raised in the Valley (PHX, AZ) So naturally, I jumped at the opportunity to live in a sweet town in Mississippi to water my southern roots. I enjoy finding a good patio and a glass of wine. I love cooking and slow evenings. LOVE spending any of my free time with my grand babies and family. Family is SO important to me, moments with them are sweet treasures.

Khrystal- Momma to two beautiful girls (5 & 1). Army wife married to my high school sweetheart. My husband is my rock and my biggest supporter. He is amazing and I am beyond words blessed to have him. Outside of our photography business, I’m lucky enough to stay home with our sweet girls. I spend my days chasing them and our great dane Lucy around. I’m typical in the sense that I spend way too much money at starbucks and target. Mexican food lover. I love being outside. Driving around aimlessly. Im an over thinker (get it from my momma) and I love to try to figure things/people out.





2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
Warm- We are light addicts (I guess all of us photogs are to a point)—We are constantly admiring it, searching it out, pulling over to the side of the road to stalk it.
Organic- Our taste is very natural and we like that to shine through. We aren’t crazy about anything too “posed” or set up. Real is what we aim for.
Connected- It super important for us to get a feel for our clients and their relationships ( be it a couple or a momma and her baby). Those intimate looks, the bonding touches, and the moments when you can tell they just cannot get enough of each other.




3. What sparked your passion for photography?

We have always been photo-obsessed.. But, like many others, it started when my oldest was born. I wanted to freeze everything. I wanted to absorb every detail of her tiny little being. We dove right in and have been addicted ever since. Its totally apart of us now, and I cannot wait to teach my girls so that can have that same feeling. 




4. What's in your camera bag right now?

D600- 85mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 70-200mm
Lens cleaning supplies.
SO. MUCH. GUM.
Emergency Larabars. 



5. What is your dream shoot or project?
Jackie- Any shoot with my family really is like a dream for me. That is my true happy place! But, I would love to eventually photograph all animals in need. Be it at a sanctuary or a shelter, to help bring exposure to whats going on and help promote adopting. 

Khrystal- Of course, I ALWAYS have the thoughts in my head about traveling somewhere super exotic and beautiful or going to a country in need. But I would REALLY like to photograph NICU babies. Its a horrible feeling when things don’t go according to plan and you don’t get to bring your baby home. Its a gut-wrenching flood of uncertainty. Such an emotional roller coaster. But also a time that hopefully, they can move forward and past and look back with a stronger view. 



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
I definitely viewed the photography community a lot more competitively when I first started out. I thought everyone was out to judge or “beat” your price range. And while every community has a few bad apples, the deeper into it I got the more i realized what an outstanding group of people there are in it. So many amazing artists that want to help lift each other up and give advice and praise when you need it most! I have made some life-long friends through photography. And now that Im in a comfortable place with myself and my business I realize that what everyone else is doing DOESNT matter. Its about you, your goals, and the way you handle things. Its a very peacefully place to be sitting in :)



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

Never settle down. Never get comfortable. Its easy to get in your groove, get a huge workload and forget the absolutely amazing feeling it is when you hit a new goal. The high isn’t like any other! Once you become more like a well oiled machine and less like the visual mastermind you are, you start to lose the love and the spark that got you here in the first place. That can lead to all kinds of dangerous things, mainly resentment for something you used to adore.
And cherish your babies, they should be your most important subject. On and off the camera. Its so easy (especially in busy season) to get caught up in work and the rush of life. Don’t forget to schedule yourself days off where you can wander aimlessly and be careless.


Find more Livy B and their beautiful photography here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts