Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Devon Hall


This week, Devon of Devon Hall Photographic Arts is judging the 'faces' theme. She's shared a few of her wonderful monochromatic images, and some inspiration!



1. Tell us about yourself... 

I am married to my high school sweetheart. I am a mom to two boys and one teeny tiny baby girl who was born too early to survive outside the womb. Experiencing loss and becoming a mom changed me; the overwhelming sense of vulnerability seemed a little suffocating at times. Thankfully, while trying to adjust to my new role as a mother, the one thing that I held onto was my creativity. 



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now? 

Growing up my heart was always passionate about the arts, especially painting and photography. It was when I became a Mom (and my time was limited), that I leaned more towards my camera rather than my paintbrush. In learning rather quickly the importance of time, I desperately wanted to remember and document these small yet beautiful moments that became my everyday as a Mom. Moments that were fleeting. Moments that I wanted to remember. 



3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 

Canon 5D mark ii
24-70mm f/2.8 L
50mm f/1.4
Lensbaby Sweet 35
70-200mm f/4.0 L

I tend to pick up my 50mm the most and my 70-200mm the least.



4. What's your dream project or shoot? 

My dream project/shoot would be something to do with fashion. Working within the industry would be amazing.  



5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer? 

Lately I am really feeling this pull between being an artist and mother. Finding a balance is tough as I want to selfishly learn and grow as an artist but also give my time and my whole self to being a mom. 



6. If you had $500 to spend on photography... How should you spend it? How do you wish you could spend it? How would you really spend it? 

Well, I should spend it on my equipment and my studio……updating, cleaning & maintenance.
My wish would be a workshop.
I would probably end up putting it towards a new mac computer.



7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

Be patient and gentle with yourself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts