Friday, March 20, 2015

Feature Friday with Sabrina V. Photography!

Sabrina Vercueil of Sabrina V. Photography is the winner of last week's 'quiet' challenge, and she has graciously shared more of her gorgeous work with us, as well as giving us a look inside her camera bag!




1. Please tell us about yourself… 

I’m all of these things: Open, excitable, serious, disorganised, thoughtful, genuine, talkative, quiet, humorful, anxious, curious, emotional, a procrastinator, kind (I fail too often, but I try), appreciative, learning, humanist, spiritual, depressed, erratic, silly, searching, joyful, not patient enough and still figuring things out.  I have a husband and a toddler. The word ‘poop’ finds it’s way into my conversations way too often! I love life. I can’t write short answers.



2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

Real/Honest - Because I just capture what is. 
Story - I like my images to portray stories that people can relate to. I also put a lot of myself into the stories, the good and the bad - it’s all there.  
Art - Garbage cans can be beautiful, it’s just a matter of perspective. If I can create something beautiful out of something mundane, then to me that’s art.

For no particular reason my personal work is almost always moodier than my client work, which is brighter and cheerier.  Both however, are true to my style. 



3. What sparked your passion for photography?

Life did. 
From early on I was taking ‘snapshots’ of things I found beautiful or interesting by blinking my eyes. I still remember quite a few of those moments! I got a camera quite late and in the beginning I was taking pictures on the street only, capturing moments that are easily over looked. At some point I translated that into client and lifestyle/documentry photography but I always shoot for the same reason, to show how beautiful the everyday is. 




4. What's in your camera bag right now?
A Canon 5d Mark 2, sigma 35mm 1.4 and a 50mm 1.8. I’m keeping it simple.




5. What is your dream shoot or project?
If I had the opportunity to travel (with my family) for the sole purpose of street photography, that would be amazing!




6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey?Have they changed, and how? 

None. I’ve always shot for the soul purpose of satisfying my own creative need. I admire and am hugely inspired by other photographers, but I’ve never really thought about ‘the industry’.  As a creative community I think we shouldn’t waste time competing, but rather use that energy to build each other up. That’s what I choose to focus on and so far that’s been my experience.



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning? 
A few things. Be patient with yourself, don’t compare - you are exactly where you need to be in your journey. Seek inspiration in what you admire and then translate that into finding your own style. Accept that there will be periods of no inspiration and don’t put pressure on yourself. Experiment. Reach out  -  there’s an awesome community out there, I wish I’d discovered it sooner! Do you. Always learn. 




Find more of Sabrina's gorgeous work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts