Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Meet This Week's Judge: Danielle Lundberg


This week, we have Danielle of DaniPress Photography guest judging for the high Contrast Black and White" theme. Please enjoy her lovely photos and read about her world!



1. Tell us about yourself...


I'm a born and bred New Yorker who lives in WA. I have a charming husband, two delicious sons, a sweet dog, and a love for being creative. If I'm not being creative in some way, my world feels very small and boring.
2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now? 
I think I'm the fourth or fifth generation of photographers in my family. My dad, his dad, his dad, and so on were all photographers. My mom was an art teacher. I grew up drawing and writing. I always had a camera, too. I remember being in high school and going out with my friends to the beach at night and bringing the camera with us. I wanted to make sure we had tangible memories. I guess my great love for photography arose when I had my first son, as it has with many women, and my dad gave me my first professional camera. Since then, I've branched out from portraiture to also include landscape photography, which I think is where my creativity has blossomed. I love portraiture, but I don't get to be as artistic with it as I do with landscapes. My need for creativity in my life is what keeps me going and learning.
3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least? 

My Canon 6D, 24-105 f/4 L, 35 mm f/1.4L, 50 mm f/1.4, 85 mm f/1.8, and 70-200 f/2.8. I use them all for different things. I guess the ones I use the most for landscapes are the 24-105 and the 70-200, and for portraits I use the 70-200 and the 35. I use the 50 mm the least for sure. I'm not sure why I hang onto it, except that it was the first non-kit lens I bought, so there's a little nostalgia there.

4. What's your dream project or shoot? 

I don't have a dream project per se, but I'd love to travel more and see more and put foreign landscapes into my portfolio. I also love dance photography and would love to have more opportunities to shoot dancers and yogis.
5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?
Shutting down the ego is a hard one! Listening to someone's critique and not letting my "but, but, but" get in the way. 

Being held back by time constraints or life getting in the way is another challenge. I want to go out shooting, but can often only do it during the day when the kids are at school. That's not the ideal time. So until they can stay home without a sitter, I'm tied to their schedule, which can be hard on an artist.
6. If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it? On education. How do you wish you could spend it? On education. How would you really spend it? On education.
7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey?

"Hey, you should definitely take a class on the exposure triangle," or "You know what white balance is, right? Have you thought about correcting yours?"  
Honestly, I think I was told the right things at the right time for me. I was given good critiques by people who I trusted and that is so important!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts