Friday, January 30, 2015

Feature Friday with Ginger Snap Photography!


The winner of last week's 'weather' challenge is Kate Viner of Ginger Snap Photography, and she has graciously shared a bit about her gear, her dream shoot, and what she has learned along her journey, as well as some more of her gorgeous work.



1. Please tell us about yourself...
Occupational Therapist by day, budding photographer by night! I love being an O.T. but I also really love the creative outlet photography allows me. Its only been a year that I have been taking photography more seriously. I am still very much a beginner, but enjoy learning and developing my eye. I’ve recently started a 365 photo-a-day challenge and it’s getting me to try new shots.



2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
“Trial and error”?! haha mostly! I think I will chose “developing, resourceful and creative”.
Developing: definitely still developing my style and finding what I like.
Resourceful: Using the light available. I enjoy trying to ‘find the light’ to highlight the subject. I also really enjoying the dramatic look of low light/night photography. It’s another challenge to get my camera settings right!
Creative: This is my creative outlet, so I love being able to share beautiful images with others, to capture interesting colours, textures, scenes as I see them.



3. What sparked your passion for photography?
I decided to invest in a DSLR when my first niece was born as I wanted to be able to capture special memories of her growing up. She is now 2 years old.



4. What's in your camera bag right now?
Seeing as I am doing a 365 photo challenge I have started carrying my camera everywhere with me, so I’ve transferred my handbag contents to a camera bag! Usually just contains my camera, my 50mm lens and one other (landscape or zoom), wallet, phone, keys and lipsticks.



5. What is your dream shoot or project?
At the moment my dream is to have a small exhibition. To display my work somewhere public, and to have a cohesive set of images that represent me and my style (hopefully I’ve found it by then!).
As for a dream shoot, anything! I want to practice anything and everything, more babies, landscapes, portraits, wedding, engagement, whatever.



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
I thought photoshop was so hard!! Its really not once you get the hang of it! I’m still learning with photoshop too, but watched tons of youtube vids, read up on tutorials with photographers, did the Morgan Burks Photoshop Fanatic course, joined Ask Damien groups on facebook.



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
Practice, practice, practice! I’m only a month into the photo-a-day challenge and I feel like I’ve grown already. I am more confident in my camera settings to shoot in manual. In the past month I’m also less self-conscious about taking photos in public, whipping out the “big” camera at a cafĂ©/pub, or in the street and snapping away.
Research – there’s so much info out there, its just about finding the time to get through it all.
Develop your eye – this is tricky. I tend to look at my images or others images and really critique them. If I like the image what is it about it that appeals to me? Lighting, composition, feeling, the edit? Similarly, if I don’t like it, why?



Find more of Kate's beautiful work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts